Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding Registry Key  (Read 2125 times)

Hokiefire

Adding Registry Key
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
I can't add the registry key Control Panel to the this string; HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. After running System File Checker the string now reads; HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions. I can add the key Control Panel to any key expect Internet Explorer. I can add a key with any number of characters to Internet Explorer as long as there is no space after the seventh character.

I have full control and I'm the administrator.

I'm thinking IE7 may have something to do with this, or perhaps McAfee or Spy Sweeper is blocking this, I'm not a programmer.

Fresh install Win XP Pro, SP2, all updates current
McAfee Security Center
Spy Sweeper
Trojan Hunter
Spyware Blaster

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Adding Registry Key
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »
    Why do you want to do this?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Hokiefire

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 02:07:16 PM »
    I have a tweaking program call XP Smoker, http://www.xp-smoker.com/ , and it needs this key for the IE tweaks to work. I have contacted the author of XP Smoker and he hasn't figured it out yet, and this is the first report of this problem. Had no problems with XP Smoker until the reinstall of Win and all the related updates.

I use Firefox 99.999% of the time, I would just like to know what is causing this and I have run out of ideas.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
    They have a Help Forum...have you tried there ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "