Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Network Search  (Read 5513 times)

putzrox

Wireless Network Search
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:55:20 PM »
My brother-in-law's work laptop (IBM ThinkPad with Centrino Mobile) has Windows 2000 but does not appear to have any way of searching for a wireless network.  The wireless network we have set up at home works fine but for that to be so I had to enter the information in the wireless card's properties (SSID and such) but that limits it to home use.  Is there something missing here or anything to download for a wireless network search tool?  I know my computer with Windows XP has it...it looks like a little computer with three lines next to it.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Wireless Network Search
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:16:20 PM »
In your System Tray (very bottom right hand side next to the clock)
There should be a Wireless icon of some sort. As I recall, Windows 2000 does not have built in WiFi capibilities. Make sure your wireless card software is installed.

putzrox

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »
I know about the icon you're referring to, as described in my initial email (the little computer with the curved lines next to it) but it's not there.  I had a laptop a few years ago with the same system and it had the ability to search but this one does not.  It appears the only way to connect to a network is through properties and entering the SSID manually and such, which is cumbersome.  Is there a program or update I can download?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »
The driver program for the wireless device may include a connection wizard...or maybe try IBM's site and search under the model # of the laptop.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

putzrox

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:36:42 PM »
I went to the IBM website and downloaded a driver update package but all that did was mess things up.  The old one was from 2004 and the new one is from this year.  I input all the info for my home wireless network and it won't connect at all.  The time I input the information again it said it was connected but Explorer wouldn't pick anything up.  I restarted and now I get nothing.  What the *censored*?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:47:02 PM »
It sounds like you might have accidentally downloaded the Windows Vista driver, if it was from this year.

Go back to their site, and make sure you get the driver for your operating system, and if it still wont work, could you give us the link to the download site?

putzrox

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 12:58:29 AM »
Thanks to those of you who have assisted me in the past.  I believe I have the proper driver downloaded and installed.  I also downloaded and installed ThinkVantage Access Connections so I can scan for WiFi and such.  I have input the security information for my wireless network at home and it gets to the verge of connection (and a completed task for me) but it won't finish connecting due to an error with renewing the IP address configuration (the last step).  When I click on "Help Me Fix This" it takes me to a diag tool that tells me the DHCP server is not responding (Error Code: 031).  I can click on a "Repair" button but that doesn't help any.  I know I have this option with Windows XP and that has helped in the past but not here since this is on Windows 2000.  I know the wireless network is working because I'm using it as I type on my desktop right now.  The only other suggestion it gives it to contact my network administrator but that's me and up to now, everything was fine (until I started screwing around with this stupid computer).
What now?  I want to finish this being that I'm so close.

putzrox

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 01:02:16 AM »
Basically it stalls on "Waiting for IP configuration" when trying to connect to the network.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 06:54:23 AM »
Here Ya Go...

Courtesy and Kudos to Black Viper.

You may want to print it out.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

putzrox

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 09:06:19 AM »
I appreciate the long list but everything appears to be set the way it needs to be.  Any specific thoughts?

I should also note that under ipconfig in DOS the DNS suffix is blank, the autoconfig IP address starts with 169 (which is bad, I think), the subnet mask ends in two zeroes, and the default gateway is blank.

I tried to repair and release the IP address via the diag tool but that didn't work either.

Another attempt: I tried to renew the ipconfig via DOS but it said "the following error occurred when renewing adapter WiFi Connection: DHCP Server unreachable."

Finally, I tried to enter the missing information (IP address, DNS server) in the settings for my home wireless network.  It said it was connected but really wasn't.  I have tried to repair the drivers via Add/Remove Programs to no avail.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:40:04 AM by putzrox »