Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with firewall and antivirus installations and scans  (Read 3080 times)

joda

Problems with firewall and antivirus installations and scans
« on: August 27, 2007, 02:27:44 AM »
Norman Internet Control v5.9 was installed on one machine, with the Windows firewall being turned off, since the Norman Personal Firewall is part of the Norman software. There have been a lot of problems with this family computer, it freezes and gives error messages while scanning for virus, both online scans and while scanning without any network connection. I uninstalled the NIC software, to try the AVG Freeware.

Before installing the AVG software I used CCleaner with default settings to clean registry and temp. The AVG installation was done as Administrator in Safe Mode. At the end of the installation an error message popped up telling me a service could not be run. I restarted and turned on the Windows Firewall. Now the Security Center tells me I’m using two firewalls and no Antivirus. Switching off the Windows Firewall it says I am using Norman Personal Firewall.

The problem is I can not find any Firewall or Antivirus installed anywhere, not in the Add Remove Control Panel, not under the Start menu and no folder names associated with either Norman Personal Firewall or AVG Freeware.

PC info: Tundra Workstation, MS Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 2, AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 512 MB RAM, Connect 3D Radeon 9600 Series.

I probably don’t have any Antivirus protection! What to do? Please help!

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
  • Google
    Re: Problems with firewall and antivirus installations and scans
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:59:00 AM »
    I've also had issues with the security center reporting things invalidly, ie protection software that was long gone or changed.

I don't know how to fix it unfortunately, though if you want to test whether your antivirus is functioning you could see what AVG itself is telling you and also, try download the TEST virus from here, may I stress test.

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
    -

joda

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
    I managed to (re)install the AVG Freeware logged on as main user, not in Safe Mode, and finally managed to scan the computer. No freezing or getting a bunch of error messages.

Don’t know if it was the double firewall issue or Norman Antivirus software creating all the trouble. But there is still this problem with the Security Center telling me that Norman Personal Firewall v 1.4 is running, and I don’t know how to get rid of it. Neither do I know if I can use the Windows Firewall together with the hidden or not installed phantom of the previously used Norman software.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

joda

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 12:54:56 AM »
    I could not use the Norton Removal Tool, since I’m not sure which product or version of Norton that has been installed on the machine. And my problem is Norman not Norton. But, thank you anyway. There where traces of an earlier installation of Norton on this machine.

I still have the problem with Security Center telling me I am using more than one firewall if the Microsoft Windows Firewall is turned on. Turned off, it says: Norman Personal Firewall v 1.4 is currently on. Don’t know what is best to use if I can’t get rid off the incorrect message, having the Windows Firewall on or off?

I searched for files and folders, and the Register, for Norton, Symantec and Norman, and could delete all except the following which I was not allowed to delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NAVAPSVC\0000
    Name: DeviceDesc Type: REG_SZ Data: Norton Antivirus Auto Protection Service

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NPDRIVER\0000
    Name: DeviceDesc Type: REG_SZ Data: Norton Unerase Protection Driver

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NPROTECTSERVICE\0000
    Name: DeviceDesc Type: REG_SZ Data: Norton Unerase Protection

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CCEVTMGR\0000
    Name: DeviceDesc Type: REG_SZ Data: Symantec Event Manager

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CCPWDSVC\0000
    Name: DeviceDesc Type: REG_SZ Data: Symantec Password Validation Service

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NIPSVC\0000
    Name: DeviceDesc Type: REG_SZ Data: Norman API-hooking helper

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVCSCHEDULER\0000
    Name: DeviceDesc Type: REG_SZ Data: Norman Virus Control Scheduler

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NIPSVC\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVCSCHEDULER\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NIPSVC\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVCSCHEDULER\0000

joda

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:57:39 PM »
    I have solved my problem. Thank you all for your help.

I reinstalled and deinstalled Norman. If someone would like to know the details, please read the following:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic106099.html