Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem Opening File  (Read 2474 times)

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Problem Opening File
    « on: September 04, 2007, 06:11:36 PM »
    I was typing up a document on Microsoft Word on this old Windows 95 computer. While the program was still open, I turned off the computer manually using the power button. When I turned the computer back on and attempted to open my file, a message came up saying that "The document name or path is not valid". I opened up the properties window for the file, and although the general information was the same as most working documents, the summary and statistics were blank. I turned off the computer, and re-started it, this time doing scan disc. Sure enough, an error message came up. I forgot to write down exactly what the error message said, but it was something along the lines of "The file (myfile).doc has an error. The first part is still working, but recent changes could prevent you from opening it. Fix this problem?" I clicked yes, and rather then fix it, it created a new file with the same name as my old one, except the first 2 letters were replaced with "~$". I tried to open it, and it said I needed to install some language decoder, and it appeared as a bunch of little rectangles instead of letters. I also saved the original file to a disc and tried it on a newer computer (the Windows XP I'm using right now), but the same "missing path" error message came up. Help!

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problem Opening File
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 02:00:11 AM »
    i believe your file already corrupted :(
    why u used a 95 instead have xp,xp much more better & can save files even you do that kinda instant shutdown..

Spero-T

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 05:15:05 AM »
    yes I concur the file is corrupt

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 04:40:23 PM »
      I only use the Windows 95 for typing. Sometimes it's useful to have an extra computer around just for that purpose, even if it is a really old one (I'm in high school... I'm typing out labs and essays every second day). So about this corrupted file, is there anything I could possibly do to rescue it?

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
        « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:44:01 PM »
        It does sound like a corrupted file. Were you saving to flash drive or local hard disk?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »
        The file is probably gone since you shutdown Windows without saving it...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
          It had been saved previously so it's still there, it just won't open. It was about 2 pages long, and I had only added an additional line or two before turning off the computer without saving it.

echinococcosis

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 08:05:21 PM »
            Is there any possible way I could recover at least part of the document?