Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot up problem  (Read 3755 times)

Heatinspector

Boot up problem
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:40:04 PM »
Power cut yesterday powered off with ups not a problem, but on re-boot nothing after bios.  I thought at first it was the hard drive as this had happened before but switching to my now non-used Vista loaded drive same deal.  Tried every fix I could think of nada.  All I get after the BIOS screen is a blank video screen and a barely discernable whirring sound  ( which stops in seconds) like it is not sending power to the hard drive so it just sits there.../ Computer was new December from MDG Canada.  A basic M/B that I should have known better than to buy if I had seen it pre-purchase.

I eventually called tech support who said as I put in my own drive the warranty would not be valid but he suggested I reboot and put a disc into the CD ROm.  Blow me if it did not go to boot up??????????????

Any ideas on the boot up?

The Saviour

Re: Boot up problem
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
Are you still connected to the UPS...or did you try by-passing it?

JXY

Hopeful
    « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:07:08 AM »
    This may not be the issue, but if you have a floppy disc inserted whilst trying to boot, then this type of boot problem can occur. Eject the floppy if there is one, and re-boot.

i know it's unlikely, but you never know.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

Heatinspector

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:47:50 AM »
    This may not be the issue, but if you have a floppy disc inserted whilst trying to boot, then this type of boot problem can occur. Eject the floppy if there is one, and re-boot.

i know it's unlikely, but you never know.

No floppy on the box but the UPS is an interesting idea maybe not enough power to go past BIOS?

The Saviour

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »
    Not necessarily...

The UPS may be damaged, but I doubt it...just wanted to rule it out...so you may want to bypass the UPS...maybe use a relaible surge protector and then boot again...or do a self test on the UPS to see if it passes. If it does...then the UPS is not the issue.

More than likely...it is the hard drive...since the computer boots up to BIOS...but then dies.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:44:10 AM »
    The other thing to do along with Saviour's advice is to toggle the power switch on the back of the PSU while it is disconnected...this sometimes resets the built in protection on PSU's that have it.
    Try the same thing on the UPS as well before you reconnect it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "