Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with connecting via wired LAN  (Read 3750 times)

andyfaz10

Problem with connecting via wired LAN
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »
I'm not a big expert on computers, but I'll try to explain as best as possible my problem.

Ok, two weeks ago my cell phone fell on my laptop (Acer TravelMate 8200) right where the internal hard disk is located, damaging it.  So I looked online and bought a new one that arrived and works perfectly.  I re-installed Windows Professional with all the updates from Windows Update and all the drivers that I found on the Acer website.  Everything works perfectly except that I can't connect the computer to the internet with the LAN cable (before the disk broke I could just plug in any wire and internet would work).  The acer driver does not have a setup.exe file (all the other drivers did) but a bunch of .sys, .din and .dll files.
So I got EVEREST and figured out that I have an "Intel PRO/1000 PM Network Connection" PCI Device which is shown as a ? on the device manager.  I went to look for drivers or installers on the Intel website but nothing, I wrote them an e-mail and they gave me a link:

http://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/drivers/eeG_3.1.7a/nic.eeG.3.17a.README

But I do not understand a thing about it.

I was wondering if there is just s imple way to make the ethernet connection work again (again, in the device manager this is shown as ?) without having to go touch and tweak stuff inside the Windows folder?  If you need any other information pleaswe ask.

Thank you so much everyone!

andyfaz10

Re: Problem with connecting via wired LAN
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 09:54:41 AM »
I also forgot to say that with the wireless it connects perfectly to the router and therefore internet.   I guess the problem is the ethernet controller.  In the device mangager I get these 4 with the ? symbol:
Ehternet Controller
PCI Device
PCI Serial Port
PCMCIA MTD-0002

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with connecting via wired LAN
    « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
    Check the CD you got with the laptop.  It should contain all the drivers for you computer, including the built-in ethernet adaptor.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!