Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sharing a printer  (Read 3873 times)

wildwood

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Sharing a printer
    « on: October 16, 2007, 10:05:05 PM »
    I have two laptops in my office within my wireles network. My XP computer has an HP photosmart 7150 series printer hooked to it. I have been trying to print from my other computer which is a VISTA home basic OS. No luck! The printer is enabled to share but it wont print if directions come from the VISTA computer. Do I need to install a different driver since I am using 2 different OS's. I have no problem sharing files only the printer is not cooperating. If I do need to install an updated printer driver on which computer do I install it?

Peter

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Sharing a printer
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »
    So, you see HP photosmart 7150 in Control Panel, Printers, right?  How did you install it there?  By searching for printers on the network or another way?

This might help: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
      You ahve to install a driver for vista on your other laptop. (not connected to printer). You will probably have to download from manafucters website.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »
      Based on my experience so far with Vista, it will recognize many printers without downloading a driver.  I have two Canon printers connected to my desktop PC (Windows XP).  Both are rather old models, a BJC-2000 and a BJC-3000.  When I networked them to my notebook PC (running Vista), it brought up a list which included both printers.  In other words, it had drivers for them.

The point of my last post was that he needs to install networked/shared printers on that laptop in a different way than he would if he was connecting the printers directly to it.

wildwood

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 07:27:54 AM »
        My Vista computer recognizes the HP photosmart printer. However, when I want to print a document and the window for choosing the appropriate printer comes up it includes the HP printer as a choice, but after it accepts that printer as a choice it says ..........sending to printer yet nothing actually prints.

Peter

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »
        What is the name of the printer that appears in a print command panel when you try to print something?  Does it start with \\, as shown below?: