Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel help - linking web pages  (Read 2843 times)

PC Layman

Excel help - linking web pages
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:00:11 AM »
Hi, does anyone know if there is any way of displaying a hyperlink in a cell without underlining the whole text?

For instance (as part of my work):

Last trading day is 16/10/2007 according to this link?

Either way, please let me know!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Excel help - linking web pages
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »
I don't know why you posted the link.  Anyway, in Excel, select a cell that has a hyperlink in it.  Then, go to Format, Cells, and, in the box for Underline, select None, and then click OK.  Of course, you can select multiple cells and then apply the formatting, or use Format Painter to copy the format from one cell to others.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
  • Sup!?
    • Where we learn IT daily!
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:16:42 AM »
By defualt most Microsoft products will do that to you, but as said in the previous post, after creating the link (ctrl+k) just reformat the cell/word to the style you want.
Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

PC Layman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »
I don't know why you posted the link.  Anyway, in Excel, select a cell that has a hyperlink in it.  Then, go to Format, Cells, and, in the box for Underline, select None, and then click OK.  Of course, you can select multiple cells and then apply the formatting, or use Format Painter to copy the format from one cell to others.

Sorry, I don't think you have quite understood my query (maybe I haven't phrased it very well?).

The idea is that I wanted only part of the text in the cell to be used as a hyperlink, like in the example above (I don't quite get your first point, as I had to post some kind of link otherwise my question wouldn't make much sense). So that when you move the cursor over the cell, only the bit that is underlined/highlighted appears in the hyperlink caption (like with the link in the above example appearing in the status bar), with the rest of the text normal. It just looks a bit neater and means that when you edit it you don't have to keep clicking into the formula bar to avoid opening another window unnecessarily. Not that drastically important, I just wondered if it could be done.

Hope this clears things up. Even if it can't be done, please let me know if you can!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:55:30 AM »
Your additional explanation clarified what you want to accomplish.  But, I'm afraid it cannot be done. 

However, here's a tip that might be helpful when editing cells with hyperlinks.  To select a cell that has a hyperlink in it without jumping to the hyperlink destination, click the cell and hold the mouse button until the cursor becomes a cross, then release the mouse button.  You can then hit F2 to put the cell in edit mode. 

PC Layman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:31:20 PM »
Yeah I thought it couldn't be done, I tried pasting a similar example from Word and it just came out as one long hyperlink.

Thanks anyway, that's a useful tip!