Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printers: Some advice from anyone with a printer  (Read 3078 times)

phoenix910

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Printers: Some advice from anyone with a printer
    « on: November 15, 2007, 07:56:25 PM »
    Hi guys, I've got a lexmark X1185 multifunction centre, and have been terribly disappointed with it for a long time. It has chewed up ink so quickly, cartridges are so expensive, and quality is poor as anything. So I am looking to get a new one, and I am wondering a few things. What is a good printer (not MFC) that
    1. Doesn't chew up ink too fast - maybe has separate refillable cartridges?
    2. Good quality
    3. What's better, inkjet or bubblejet?
    4. Good life and cheap cartridges?

Also, anyone had experience with the Canon PIXMA iP5300 Bubble Jet?
    Thanks

-Stephen

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Printers: Some advice from anyone with a printer
      « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 08:32:20 AM »
      If you are looking for printing text for the most part, then I'd suggest getting a laser printer.  You'll get thousands of prints as opposed to hundreds with an inkjet/bubblejet.
      Also, the price of color lasers have come down dramatically.  I have a Xerox Phaser 6120 that I use for printing my business cards and brochures.  With it (at the time) being on sale, plus a coupon from Staples + free delivery, I got it for under $300.  Works great  ;D

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced

phoenix910

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 06:30:22 PM »
        If you are looking for printing text for the most part, then I'd suggest getting a laser printer.  You'll get thousands of prints as opposed to hundreds with an inkjet/bubblejet.
        Also, the price of color lasers have come down dramatically.  I have a Xerox Phaser 6120 that I use for printing my business cards and brochures.  With it (at the time) being on sale, plus a coupon from Staples + free delivery, I got it for under $300.  Works great  ;D

Alan <><  :D

It'll be for printing pictures as well. How do Laser printers hold up on that end of the deal?

Here's a review on that printer:
        http://www.gadgetspeak.com/gadget/article.rhtm/130124/444514/Canon_Pixma_iP5300.html

Another review:
        http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/2187/3211/canon-pixma-ip5300-photo-printer.phtml

I have no personal experience with it.

Thanks for the links, I've read the second before, but not the first. It seems to be getting fairly good in the reviews (I think) as opposed to the lexmark I've got at the moment. Are these good yields for cartridges?
        290 pages of 6 x 4-inch photos - Magenta
        4340 pages of 6 x 4-inch photos - Large "ContrastPLUS" Black
        1600 pages of 6 x 4-inch photos - Standard Black
        436 pages of 6 x 4-inch photos - Cyan
        331 pages of 6 x 4-inch photos - Yellow

Seems good to me, as opposed to my Lexmark, which is 8 full colour pages and then it's empty. And each cartridge in the Lexmark is $50 (there's a black and a colour), whereas the Canon is $25. Whaddya think?

-Stephen

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:55:56 PM »
        When you say "8 full colour pages", is that photos or what?  That level of ink consumption seems unbelievable.  So, I presume you're talking about photos.  I don't print photos on my printer.  I get the digital prints I want from Wal-mart or some other retail photo development shop.  I believe it's actually more economical.

I have two older Canon printers, a BJC-2000, which uses one color cartridge and one black cartridge.  The color cartridge for it costs about $20 plus tax at Wal-mart.  The other printer, a BJC-3000, like the PIXMA iP5300, uses separate cartridges for the three colors and one black cartridge.  I do think the separate color cartridges can save money just because each color may be consumed at different rates and can be replaced separately. 

phoenix910

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »
          Yeah, I agree, I think the separate cartridges is a good idea. And yes, they are full colour pages of either photo's or poster presentations for assignments etc.

-Stephen