Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: virtual pc 2007  (Read 2203 times)

planetoidalee

Topic Starter

Rookie

virtual pc 2007
    « on: November 18, 2007, 03:52:41 AM »
    Hi all,

I'm sure the answer is already on here somewhere but I've had a good look and can't find it.

I am currently doing a course for an MCDBA (gulp!), as part of the course I have to do the ComptiA+ and I am looking to sit the first exam for this in a few weeks.

I am currently running XP PRO, VERSION 2002, SP2 on a ATHALON XP 2200+ 1.8GHz AND 768MB RAM.

I need to learn a bit about windows 95, 98, ME and 2000 and to this end I have installed virtual pc 2007, I have selected the operating system(s) I want and created a virtual hard drive (vhd). I start virtual pc and select the operating system and start it, a window opens with a black background and performs what 'looks' like a post and then comes up with:

"Argon PXE boot agent v2.00 (BIOS Integrated)
    (C) Copyright 2004 blah blah blah..."

CLIENT MAC ADDR  ** ** ** ** ** ** ** GUID: ******-******-*****-***
    DHCP....\

Then it comes up with

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device"

So what am I doing wrong? The only thing I can think of is that VPC requires L2cache to run and I don't know if I have that or how to check if I have got it.

This course is costing me £4,500 or approx $9,000 so it's really important to me that I learn as much as possible.

Thanx for your help

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: virtual pc 2007
      « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:22:06 AM »
      Have you installed the windows OS you want on the virtual machine? Virtual PC doesn't come with any operating systems, you have to install them like on a real computer.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

planetoidalee

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:33:30 AM »
         :-[ Well don't I look like a numpty lol

Thought it was all included in VPC i.e. VIRTUAL and that I didn't have to install it i.e. ACTUALL

Thanx tho'

ps. Do MS do trial OS's for free?

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:13:20 AM »
          No I don't believe they do... except for a 120 day trial of Windows XP 64 bit.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)