Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Broadband.. troubling question.  (Read 3577 times)

Psy

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Broadband.. troubling question.
    « on: December 02, 2007, 06:18:06 PM »
    Hey guys! Me again!

OK here goes.. I'll try to keep this short but with full detail!

I have a property in a very remote area. This property currently has a 56k internet connection with dialup modems, cables and whatnot!

I want to upgrade this property to a broadband connection (that might not make sense if you are from the USA) not sure <- anyways a faster internet connection lol. ie wireless/router/etc etc..

If I went out and bought a wireless router and modem, then purchased the connection from my ISP and set it up, would it work at the speed of the connection purchased or would it work at the speed of the 56k and be a waste of money?
    I'm pretty sure that has to do with the phone line going to the property?

Thanks.

Psy
    Psy.. Genius at work!

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Broadband.. troubling question.
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »
    Hello again, Psy!

Your ISP should be able to tell you the area covered by broadband and whether or not your property is within that area. If you ISP doesn't know, try the phone company.

If you're within the coverage area, it should be fine.

Psy

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »
      thanks for the quick reply m8! ....but if it's not then there is no way of getting broadband?:(
      Psy.. Genius at work!

Psy

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 08:18:53 PM »
        this is what they said:
        We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband and we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 0.5 (Megabits per second).

Download speeds are dependent on a number of factors such as the distance between your telephone exchange to your house or how many people are using broadband at the same time. BT Total Broadband will always give you the maximum download speed available to your line based on these factors.

does that mean that i can only get 500kbps? not the best. as that is less than 1MB connection:(

would it be worth it?
        Psy.. Genius at work!

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:02:12 PM »
        Sorry for the delay. I'm not feeling well and I've been laying down most of the morning.

Since they say you're in the coverage area, you should be fine. 512kbps is better than 56kbps. It won't be the fastest internet in the world, but you will definitely see the difference over dial-up. If that's all you can get there and the price is reasonable, I'd go ahead. I don't know what other options you have in the UK as far as internet goes. There's satellite, but judging by Britain's usual weather, I wouldn't recommend that.

Psy

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »
          Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well m8.

lol!  it is true about the weather!... ok I'll see what I can do with it.. I wish they could provide a better speed in my area!. Going from 20MB/s in my temorary house to 512KB/s in my usual one really does suck lol..
          Thanks for your help quaxo m8.
          Psy.. Genius at work!