Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: QuickTime update panel is in foreign language, why?  (Read 4370 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
QuickTime update panel is in foreign language, why?
« on: December 14, 2007, 06:58:03 PM »
Hey guys, I've discovered something weird and I'd like to know whether this is normal or not.  It sure seems not.  My son was using my computer about a week ago and installed QuickTime (version 7.3).  Prior to that, I had not been using QuickTime and did not have it installed in my computer for a very long time.

I discovered that, if I click on Help, Update Existing Software, a panel appears with all text in a foreign language.  The image below is what I see:

I'm wondering whether I should uninstall QuickTime and re-download it - if I'm going to reinstall it - and use the new download to install it.  I presume my son got it from a reliable source, but this foreign language situation seems quite abnormal. 

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
Re: QuickTime update panel is in foreign language, why?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:09:42 PM »
I should uninstall QuickTime and re-download it - if I'm going to reinstall it - and use the new download to install it
Sounds like a simple plan..

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:16:48 PM »
Well, do you have QuickTime?  Can you confirm this is abnormal?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
Yes, i have it in English....Besides, I see no single danger with uninstalling/installing QT

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »
I read a post about 2 or 3 months ago of a guy who was having the same problem, except it was always coming up in Chinese, not Spanish as yours is.

Here's what he said he did to fix it:
Had to open QuickTime.msi in Orca, but then click on 'View->Summary Information, and delete all of the support languages (1033,1036,1031,1041,1043,1040,2052,1034,1030,1035,1042,1044,1053,1028) except 1033.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:33:15 PM »
I should uninstall QuickTime and re-download it - if I'm going to reinstall it - and use the new download to install it. 
I did it, but it didn't change anything.  The update panel is still in Spanish.

quaxo ---- I'm not familiar with Orca.  I gather I would need to download it and then use it to edit QuickTime.msi.  Is that basically it?

Even if that's a solution, I'd like to know why this is happening.  It doesn't make sense. 

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »
I looked around and found similar questions with no answers.

Check what regional settings your computer has (Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options). I know that on my girlfriend's computer, some of the same programs that pop up in English on mine automatically pop up in Chinese on hers because of those settings. Not sure about Quicktime, since neither of us have it installed.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 10:31:43 PM »
quaxo, you hit the nail on the head. :) I opened Regional and Language Options and selected the Advanced tab.  In the box for Language for non-Unicode programs was Spanish.  I changed that to English (United States), clicked Apply, then OK, and restarted my computer.  Upon restarting, I opened QuickTime, then went to the Update Existing Software panel.  It was in English.  8)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 03:01:28 AM »
Excellent. Glad you got that fixed.

Didn't occur to me at first, then I remembered changing that setting for her on her computer because she's from Taiwan, so of course her native language is Chinese. After that, a lot of programs changed like that: World of Warcraft updater, some of her Chinese programs which wouldn't display correctly unless that was changed, etc. etc. etc....