Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't download anything  (Read 2881 times)

jillian_bailey

I can't download anything
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:02:58 PM »
My computer was running extreamly slow. So, I downloaded windows XP which is what I had at originally, but with SP2. Now I can't download all my updates "fail". I can not download windows defender, microsoft installer 3.0. I have tried numerous times to download SP2, but it just keeps bringing me to Microsoft Updates, which SP2 is not an option. I can not re downlad Norton or Java. I got I tunes back on my computer yesterday, but still can't download anything else. I also have another computer in which I upgraded from Windows 2000 professional to XP professional and it does the same thing on my other computer. Any Ideas on what is going on with my computer?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I can't download anything
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »
Since you can't DLoad XP legally i would guess it's a bad copy of XP.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »
    I'm going to go under the assumption that they're not using the term download correctly...  But if it is an illegal version of XP, then the best course would be to purchase a license.

Can you do anything online from either one of these computers?  View websites, connect to AIM (or whichever service you use), etc.

jillian_bailey

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:04:56 PM »
    Yes I can view websites and MSN messenger. Once in a while an Update will download, but then I restart and it wants to download it again, then "fails". When ever I try to download Java it comes back saying " I am missing a cabnet file " Or says the file is corrupted. I also lost Internet Explorer 7 and am using a generic version of MSN exporer. My version of XP is from what I know legal. I received it with my computer in its original packaging.