Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I want to put my e-machine drive into my gateway  (Read 2152 times)

millzee

I want to put my e-machine drive into my gateway
« on: December 16, 2007, 02:58:32 AM »
I have an e-machine that has died.I have a gateway I would like to put the hdrive into. I want to keep everything on the e-machine drive and make it the primary drive so the gateway is running off of it,and use the gateway drive as the secondary drive. Everything on the e-machine has been my primary computer and I want to maintain all this information when I put it into the gateway.I have been told that microsoft has quirks that prevent plug and play so I am asking what can I do to add this drive and make everything work? any help would be helpful...

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I want to put my e-machine drive into my gateway
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »
    "...microsoft has quirks that prevent plug and play..."  That is true.  You cannot just take a drive with an OS (95, 98 & ME are the exception in Windows) and just plug it in a different computer.  The best you can do is use the emachine drive as the secondary and pull your information from it onto the Gateway drive.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I want to put my e-machine drive into my gateway
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »
    e-machine and gateway don't make drives. So I assume you mean the drives that came inside ;) you could put your original main drive into the second computer, but if you try to boot from it, you'll encounter way to many problems to try to fix. For example, the original Hard drive probably had windows configured with drivers for the system board, Video card, hardware controllers, and all sorts of other stuff inside the original computer. So the best you could do is use it for data. And you cannot use most applications that are installed on the original drive, even if you find the exe and execute it, since all the registry settings for the app are on the other hard drive which you can't boot from properly for reasons previously described. The best course of action in this case would be to simply grab the data you want off the original drive and reformat to use as a Data drive.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.