Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows unable to load  (Read 3252 times)

Salvadoreno

Windows unable to load
« on: December 16, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »
first time poster, hopefully ill get some help rather then spend 100$$ repairing it. ::)

Ill start from the beginning, my computer was running very very slow so i pushed the restart button and waited. well of course that diagnostic screen came up with the options
Run in Safe Mode
Last known configuration that worked properly
Start windows normally

and a few others....

So i tried every single option, and it goes to windows loading screen then just reboots..  It does not get past the windows loading screen.  Ive screwed around with the Shift f10 but i am so computer illiterate i didnt know what to do.  Hopefully its nothing crazy serious, help very much appreciated...
thank you

Tristan ;D

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows unable to load
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:35:25 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

This sounds very like a hardware fault.  It's possible that you are getting a BSOD but cannot see it because you have Auto Restart enabled.  This means that when your pc encounters a problem from which it cannot automatically recover it automatically restarts.  The on-screen message which could show what the error is cannot then be displayed.

I would start by re-seating the memory stick(s) and if that doesn't work then I'd download Memtest86 from Memtest.com and let it run for a while.

Meantime some info on your system would be handy, like what's your OS, ram, how many hard drives, what anti-virus and firewall you use and anything else. The more info you give the better diagnosis you'll receive.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Salvadoreno

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 03:58:05 AM »
Thank you for reply Dusty

I would love to download those programs or even tell you my setup, but my computer will not let me do anything accept try to run windows..  As i said it constantly reboots into that screen... I tried to push shift f10 and it takes me to a blue screen with a few options on how to start again, but as i said..Comp illiterate.   >:(...

When i do get to the very first load screen it sits there with a few options

Flash Recovery
f10 is like another diagnostic thing.

There a few other others but when i push them the computer just sits there..

I pushed Y (yes) for flash recovery and a makes a noise for a while but continues to sit there all the while it says 'running flash recovery"... how long does it take?!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:01:44 PM »
Very interesting, much like going to the doctor and not being able to tell him what nationality you are.

But okay.   You surely can tell:
1.  Is your pc a laptop, notebook, or a desktop?
2.  Is your pc manufacturer's name/model number displayed anywhere?
3.  Does your hardware include a cd/dvd and/or a floppy disk drive?
4.  When you could boot up did your screen show Windows XP or some other operating system?
5.  Can you boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 during the boot sequence?
6.  Does your hdd contain files which you need to recover or is your backup up-to-date?

Memtest86 does NOT involve booting to your operating system, Memtest can be downloaded on any other machine which is working and connected to the internet, and  then you produce either a floppy disk or a cd from which to boot.

Meantime I suggest you do NOT attempt any recovery procedure unless you understand what's happening or have advice on what to attempt.   Pushing random keys because it sounds good can cause catastrophic results

Without any information I am loath to advise you further.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.