Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Westren digital prob  (Read 2155 times)

jinxjack

Topic Starter

Rookie

• WE RocK
    Westren digital prob
    « on: December 19, 2007, 06:04:08 AM »
    hy ! i have this prob that i cannot open my local disk E: which is 197 gb and i have all my things in it . when i open it it says the disk in drive E: is not formatted. format now.? it was opeing before but i dont know what happend. Is this some kind of virus or something else, can someone plz help me. I also ran chkdsk it runs fine and says the E: is ntfs but in windows when i see the properties of E: it says RAW format. The chkdsk stops in the end when verifing the usn journal. Can some one help? plz plz plz plz

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Westren digital prob
      « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:15:26 AM »
      Exactly what happens when you run a chkdsk? Does it just hang or give you an error message?
      When did this start?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jinxjack

Topic Starter

Rookie

• WE RocK
        « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 07:07:56 AM »
        well the frist time when i ran the chkdsk it started well then it just continued with the same message it was something like this "giveing index 0$ to number 25" i dont no for sure what was the exact thing. it went for about an hour then he started with saying "moving orphaned file E.g farenhiet.exe". when it was all finished it said verifing usn journal.and it stays there forever. then u have to restart then again the chkdsk starts. and i have also noticed that the safe mode does not start it stops at mup.sys just like usn journal no message and no error. can help plz

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »
        RAW is not a good sign...your data may be lost.
        Is this an external drive ?
        Did this drive have an aborted Windows install on it ?

We really need alot more info including the machine, OS and what happened prior to this to assist further.

My suspicion is it is an external HDD that was disconnected improperly without using the safely remove hardware option in Windows...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jinxjack

Topic Starter

Rookie

• WE RocK
          « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »
          it is not an external hard disk
          it did not have any windows in it
          i had this prob before with my D: drive but it was then ok. when i restarted the D: drive was raw, then if i restart again the the D: drive was NTFS.  PLZ is there any way of regaing the control of the disk because i have all my things in that drive if i had to format it i would have to start all over again. PLZ