Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: bios/hardware/boot problem  (Read 2196 times)

fmassey

bios/hardware/boot problem
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:22:17 PM »
I have an intel PIII 933 MHZ 256MB ram unit. The motherboard is a CA810E.
There is one floppy, one cd and. one hard drive (installed).
When the unit is turned on and starts to boot, i get a boot disk error, a:insert boot disk.
Then When i do a control,alternate,delete(warm boot) the unit will actually boot and load windows and i can use the unit with little or no problem. But it seems i have actually loaded the operating system(windows 98) twice, because when i try to shut the system down, i have to go through the sequence twice, sometime the unit will shut down and sometimes it will hang and not shut down, usually just freezes and i then reboot , the unit goes through scandisk and most of the time will reboot. but i still have to shut the unit down twice.

any help would be appreciated??????

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: bios/hardware/boot problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:02:37 AM »
    It could sound like a hard drive going bad.
    I recommend you test it with the test utility provided by the hard drive manufacturer.
    If you provide me with the brand name of the hard drive I can point you to the right tool.
    « Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:34:50 AM by Deerpark »
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: bios/hardware/boot problem
      « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:32:40 AM »
      Does it give you any other errors?  If it is the hardrive google shearh the maker and it should take you to the manufacturer.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres