Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Raid help  (Read 1831 times)

Raid help
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »
i have an asus motherboard with a amd dual core processor. 4 different hds (not in any sort of raid array). One is for my os (win xp sp2) and 3 for storage of data, mostly movies (all legally purchased) I need some sort of a back up system and raid 1 seems to be the way to go.  My questions are as follows:  First How many hard drives can i add in a raid one configuration?  is there a limit? if so what do i do? i need to be able to just keep adding hard drives as i get more and more data. Second if i already have the data on the hard drives if i switch it from how it is now to raid 1, will i loose all my data?  If so is there a way to get around this? Third  if i do go with raid 1 when i run out of room how does it work? do i just simply go buy two more hds and plug them in and thats that? what will the implications be on my data?  thank you so much. i love what you guys have done here. thanks again

homer

Expert
    Re: Raid help
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »

***before even considering building a RAID array, you need to make sure your motherboard supports it.***

First How many hard drives can i add in a raid one configuration?

as many that can fit on your board.

is there a limit?

as far as i know, no.

i need to be able to just keep adding hard drives as i get more and more data.

why not purchase terabyte harddrives as i suggested in your last thread?

if i switch it from how it is now to raid 1, will i loose all my data?

upon reading my motherboard manual, it appears that you do not need to delete your data, but i believe it would be best to create the RAID array on new, empty harddrives.

Third  if i do go with raid 1 when i run out of room how does it work? do i just simply go buy two more hds and plug them in and thats that?

no, you will need to add them to the RAID array.

what will the implications be on my data?

it depends on how you build your array.