Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seems like lots of cd/dvd devices are shutting down, Is there a bug?  (Read 2029 times)

CADman

Hi there, I've been looking for a solution to something that occurred at home yesterday, a cd was put in the drive, then for some reason we couldn't get it out, the external button wouldn't work.  When I used the pin-hole, the drive slowly turned (I could hear dragging) but the door didn't open.  I had to pull off the case to get it to finally come open.

That was the beginning of the problem, so we tried the usual places to see what the real issue was.  For some reason, the cd/dvd reader/writer isn't showing up in "My Computer".  Of course, it isn't showing up in the device manager, either.  The writing software's eject button didn't work telling us to install a device then try again.  Just so you know, it worked fine until yesterday.

Since I'm seeing a bunch of other people with these types of drives dropping off their system, might there have been a problem with an "automatic" update that is causing this?  It just seems to have hit too many people at the same time for it not to be.  Anybody know if a solution is on the way? 

I should probably tell you that it is a Dell that is two years old, and hasn't had a lot of use on the cd/dvd drive.  I want to say it's a 4100, but I'm not sitting at it, so I'm not sure.  It is a tower, with plenty of memory.  It gets updates whenever we log on to the internet, but we don't have them install automatically.  If I understand correctly, an update could proceed because of some problem, it wasn't specific but it told us to reboot and try again.  We did, but had the same error.

I haven't checked anywhere else, but there seems to be a high recurrance of this problem just on this site.  Any assistance will be greatfully appreciated.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Seems like lots of cd/dvd devices are shutting down, Is there a bug?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:59:25 AM »
What Dell ?
What drive and how old is it ?
If the pinhole release doesn't work properly chances are there is a physical problem with  the drive as it is not power dependent.

New DVD burners start at about 35 bucks at newegg if you are in the States.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

CADman

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
Just information here:  After a complete shutdown, the drive seems to be functioning properly.  Don't know what caused it, and saw an awful lot of other people with seemingly similar problems with their drives. . .Guess I kinda jumped to a conclusion, though I did check out Dell after my first post, and there was another grouping of users with drive problems posted on 1-1.  I'm glad it's nothing.  Thanks for the help!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »
No Problem...glad it wasn't anything.
To make sure everythings copacetic travel to Device Manager and right click the drive to make sure everything looks OK.
Seeya around.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "