Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need a few questions answered about forum hosting...  (Read 3310 times)

dairyman

I need a few questions answered about forum hosting...
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:40:20 AM »
Hi everyone!!

I'm using Windows XP SP2. I'm creating a forum using IkonBoard, PHP 5.2.5 and FFDB 2.8. Now, I'm only new to this so I'll read the manual for each product, but I need an answer for each question:

1. Will IkonBoard, PHP or FFDB slow down my system or hog my disk space? I only have 256MB RAM and 17GB disk space left.

2. When my computer is turned off, I assume the server won't be available. Is this correct?

3. I have a lot of private information on my computer, will this data be accessible via the server?

Thank you.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: I need a few questions answered about forum hosting...
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:47:17 AM »
    1. Will IkonBoard, PHP or FFDB slow down my system or hog my disk space? I only have 256MB RAM and 17GB disk space left.
    Yes they will take up some disk space and system resources. How many depends on how large the forum grows and how many visitors you get.
    2. When my computer is turned off, I assume the server won't be available. Is this correct?
    Correct. The server is only accessible when the server application is running.
    3. I have a lot of private information on my computer, will this data be accessible via the server?
    No it shouldn't be if the server is configured properly. But you should know that running a server will make your computer more visible on the internet and a more likely target for attacks. An attacker could potentially exploit an unpatched security hole in one of the applications and get access to data on the server.
    Actually I wouldn't recommend running a server on a computer used for storing personal data.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

dairyman

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »
    Thank you, Deerpark.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »
    Actually I wouldn't recommend running a server on a computer used for storing personal data.

I agree. Check on craigslist for cheap/free computers that you could use instead of your own, then put linux and xampp on it.