Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what is linksys and how did i get it?  (Read 3333 times)

patideee

what is linksys and how did i get it?
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
i accidentally connected to the internet through LINKSYS when my regular dial up isp (basicisp.net) was not working (poor signal) ... i clicked on something that said default (i think??? it happened so fast i really don't remember) and now everytime i turn on my computer i am automatically connected to the internet through LINKSYS ... i have a few questions about this.  firstly, am i being charged for this service?  do i no longer need my other (basicisp.net) provider?  am i tapping into a neightbor's road runner service?  can somebody tap into my computer files?  i really don't understand how this happened ... i don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing ... and just now my telephone rang and i didn't get knocked off and i was able to talk on the phone while i was still connected to the internet ... this is wierd ... i don't get this ... can someone shed some light ... i am clueless ...  thanks!

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: what is linksys and how did i get it?
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:30:39 AM »
    Hi patideee. Let me try and shed a little light on the situation. :)

You're are connecting to someone else's wireless internet access. Who ever they are, they have not password protected this wireless connection and therefore you're able to connect to it. It is a very bad idea not to password protect such a wireless connection. Unfortunately a lot of people don't even realize their connection isn't password protected.

firstly, am i being charged for this service?
    No, someone else is paying the bill. Hopefully they're paying a flat rate monthly fee and not for the time spend online.

do i no longer need my other (basicisp.net) provider?
    That depends on your morals. ;) You can of course not be certain this wireless connection will continue to be available.

am i tapping into a neightbor's road runner service?
    Sounds likely.

Can somebody tap into my computer files?
    That is always a possibility. A the very least, going online via an unprotected wireless connection lets anyone see what web pages you visit.

and just now my telephone rang and i didn't get knocked off and i was able to talk on the phone while i was still connected to the internet
    That's because you're not connected via your phone line but through a wireless receiver/transmitter built in to your computer.

If you want help disabling this wireless connection please tell us what version of windows you're using on your computer. (probably XP or Vista)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patideee

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:41:29 AM »
    I have Windows Vista ... I tried switching to my ISP, but the very next time I turn on my computer it automatically goes right back to LYNKSYS.  I'm not interested in tapping into someone else's service, I'm very happy with mine.  Thanks for the assist!

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
      Okay here is how to stop windows from automatically connecting to this wireless connection.
      Give this article a read: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=226

When you're on the Manage Wireless Networks page simply right click the Linksys name in the list and select Remove Network. This should stop windows connecting you to it.

patideee

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:44:03 AM »
      Done.  While I still see it listed as an option ... it no longer connects automatically ... I can live with that.  Thanks a bunch for your help!  :-*

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
        I'm glad I could help. Be sure to come back anytime you need a bit of Computer Hope. ;)