Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Core 2 Quad Installation Gone Bad?  (Read 2361 times)

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

Core 2 Quad Installation Gone Bad?
    « on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
    Ok. Before we begin I just want to say that I have heard it all from my friends already! I have learned a lot in the past 24 hours.

The deal.
    I have an Abit IP-95 MB running on 2GB memory etc with a Pentium D 3.0GHz CPU...

I just recently purchased a CORE 2 Quad Q6600 here. I installed this CPU in my MB last night and come to find out that my MB does not support Quad Core (I know!). It does support Core 2 so I just assumed incorrectly. Anyways, It wouldn't load windows. It would kind of get through CMOS but then just stop.

The question.
    Basically what I need to know is did I hurt the Core 2? Can doing this affect the Core 2 or did it just not like it? Because I ordered a new MB today but I fear that I hurt the CPU.

Thanks in advance and please understand that this was a learning process for me.  :-[

homer

Expert
      Re: Core 2 Quad Installation Gone Bad?
      « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »
      i dont believe it would have hurt it, but you will soon find out with your new motherboard.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »
      Wow... um... hard to say. I've never heard of someone doing that before, and I've never tried it myself, so it's hard to say if the processor could have been damaged. I tried searching for someone having done a similar thing, but found nothing.

But like Homer said, you'll soon find out. Will be interesting to know, please let us know how it turns out. Hope everything is alright.  :)

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 03:25:30 AM »
        Ok, new MB in and all installed up and running fine for 3 days now. I'm even burning in as I type this. The "retardation"  :-X doesn't appear to be affecting the CPU any. My old MB is also still usable.

Live and learn aye?

homer

Expert
          « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 04:54:47 PM »
          Live and learn aye?

yup.