Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: REALLY NEED HELP  (Read 2548 times)

dragonmaster2091

Topic Starter

Rookie

• If God grows it, we can smoke it.
    REALLY NEED HELP
    « on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:51 PM »
    When I type in the word "batch" (without quotes) in the command prompt it says "idk lol" and when I make a batch file that says:

@echo off
    batch

it makes a file named "sam201.xana" (which is my supposed best friends trademark) and it automatically is set to open with notepad, so i click it and it says "ECHO is off." But when i go to the main command prompt (in system32 folder) and type in batch, it says "batch is an unrecognized..." what can I do to fix this? and how do you think this happend?

Thanks for the help!

dragonmaster2091

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: REALLY NEED HELP
      « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
      Ok, I searched for ".xana" and it brought up 4 files, one opens with notepad, another was a shortcut to that one, and the other 2 were history files that opended with internet explorer. I deleted 3 of them, I couldn't delete one of the history files of it though, so i right clicked and clicked "open containing folder" and it brought up a folder of the desktop and had the xana file highlighted, so i deleted it, searched again and couldn't find anything, so I thought it was gone. I went to the command prompt again from the start menu and typed in "batch" and it still displayed "idk lol". I did a search for ".xana" again and thank god, still nothing, but I made a batch file that just said:

@echo off
      batch

and it made a "sam201.xana" file on my desktop and made another history file with it in there.

I used the del and erase codes to delete them, and now they don't show up anymore unless I type in "batch" or make a batch file that does the "batch" command...

Bones92

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
        • PIC Programming New Zealand
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:10:31 AM »
      Sounds like your friend has got a weird sense of humour to me... I think it's possible to make computers do that with the correct stuff in the registry

dragonmaster2091

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:15:30 AM »
        See thats the thing, my friend is like super super super stupid, he's so so with computers and batch files, I've known this guy for years, and the only thing I can think of that's ever been on my computer with "sam201.xana" on it was when he came over one day, he told me about a batch file that makes a file:

echo > sam201.xana

Was what it mainly was, I forgot the other to it, if there was any other to it, and that was all me and him could think of. He has no idea how that's done, and neither do I. But whatever happend, it actually made a ".xana" extension and preset it to open with notepad. It doesn't do that anymore because I delete the extension but it still makes the files.

dragonmaster2091

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 03:23:29 AM »
          Just found out, if I go to the system32 folder and copy CMD.exe there and paste it to my desktop and type in batch there, it does both (displays "idk lol" in prompt AND makes the file "sam201.xana" on the desktop) when just regular command prompt will JUST display "idk lol" and where a batch file will JUST make the file "sam201.xana". If that helps anyone think of a solution.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »
          Run a search for batch.* in all files and folders, you may find a file named batch, batch.bat or batch.exe or batch.com which seems likely to be giving you the problem or maybe just one of them.
          One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.