Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer freezes  (Read 2414 times)

mikethemeatman

computer freezes
« on: February 08, 2008, 06:06:15 AM »
When I try to burn a cd or watch a video my computer freezes. I tried to burn in nero and media plaer with the same result.

TheEmperor

Intermediate

Re: computer freezes
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:34:37 AM »
    Swap out the cable for your CD/DVD drive, see if the problem persists. Plug the cable into a different controller port on the motherboard, see if the problem persists. Check for updated drivers from the drive manufacturer and install them.
    The Emperor
    Ruling over Technology since 1998
    www.TechEmperor.com

beanhead07

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:07:07 AM »
      Would wrong jumper settings on the drive cause something like this? Maybe it's just a bad drive?
      If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »
      When I try to burn a cd or watch a video my computer freezes. I tried to burn in nero and media plaer with the same result.

Are you attempting to do both at the same time ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mikethemeatman

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »
      Everything worked fine, the I got some viruses, cleaned them out and that is when the problem started. anytime I try to watch any video clip or burn a cd everything just freezes, keyboard, everything. Someone told me check my memory, I have 224MBs. I have no idea what that means....I can butcher an elk for ya but when it comes to this computer i'm lost.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »
        It means how fast the programs can run.  It sounds that you need to get more for the system.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »
        Mike,
        I'm glad you're good with Elk and or deer...i may need your services sometime.
        List as much as you can about this system including hardware, what version of Windows, how you went about cleaning it up and what else happened prior to this and someone will be along shortly...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »
          Mike,
          I'm glad you're good with Elk and or deer...i may need your services sometime.
          List as much as you can about this system including hardware, what version of Windows, how you went about cleaning it up and what else happened prior to this and someone will be along shortly...

You also need to do this, but today most systems have about 1 gb, but patio thinks it mite not be that yet so listen to him.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
          I have 224MB