Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop hard drive formatting help.  (Read 4025 times)

peter chan

laptop hard drive formatting help.
« on: January 13, 2005, 10:21:51 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum... i was just wondering if anyone ever came across a problem when formatting their laptop hard drives where the format would stop after a percentage and not go on. It would stay at that percentage and not change. i've formatted many desktop's without issues but are there protection schemes or locking mechanisms on laptops that could create this issue? I used the recovery disks and it seemed to format with the disks without an issue while my own manual format would get stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

MalikTous

Re: laptop hard drive formatting help.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 12:58:45 PM »
Are you running with the AC adaptor connected, or trying this from the battery?

Do you have the BIOS screensaver/power saver features turned off? Sometimes the power saving gimmicks will stop the whole show unexpectedly. Run them only after you have the OS set up.

What laptop and drive is it?

peter chan

Re: laptop hard drive formatting help.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 01:51:05 PM »
i have it running off the adapter. i dont think its a power issue because the recovery disks worked without an issue... its an acer laptop but not sure what the hard drive itself is. i saw a lock/unlock command in one of the troubleshooting pages... would my problem be caused by this?