Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help - slow internet connection  (Read 2471 times)

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Help - slow internet connection
    « on: February 06, 2008, 08:57:59 PM »
    Hi - my problem here is fairly complicated, so I am going to start at the very beginning.

I recently decided to get some upgrades for my current computer.  My list was pretty short-  computer case, power supply, and motherboard.  I decided I was going to take everything else from my current computer (processor, memory, hard & dvd drives, video card, ect) and transfer it over.

After getting everything assembled and starting the power up, I immediately noticed a faint smell of burning plastic, and moments later one of the connectors to the power supply started to smolder.  Needless to say, I tuned off the power.

So, with my new power supply and motherboard as one, I began to dissemble everything off of the board and back into my original computer.  The computer booted up fine, all of the files are in the hard drives, games load properly and I have access to all of my programs....

...but my internet connection is SLOW.  Pages before would basically pop up almost immediately (I am running cable internet) where now they run so slow, that sometimes the pages either come up empty - or as in the case of Firefox it tells me that the connections were reset from the server.  Sometimes, they do pop up, but it takes forever.

The reason why I am here is because I do not know what to do.  My internet provider tells me that there is nothing wrong with my internet service (they recieved every ping they sent) and the internet connection troubleshooter on windows tells me that there is absolutely no problems.  I do not know if some part of the memory or processor was damaged from the problems relating to the new power supply "roasting" (and potentially sending a dangerous level of current into the processor) but my instincts tell me that if there was something wrong with the processor and memory that I would not be able to start up my other programs. (Sims 2, ect)

I did suspect my power supply might be bad, because when I put everything back into my "old" computer, the computer took about six starts before it made it all the way to the desktop.  It was able to boot only after I switched the power supply's switch off, waiting about 30 seconds, and then turning it back on.  But is it really that simple?  Is my old (not the new one that fried) power supply really keeping me from being able to sustain normal internet speeds.

My system: Athlon 64 3800, Windows XP, 2GB memory, Abit AV8 motherboard

P.S. - I also thought that maybe I had a bad ethernet cable, but that appears to not be the case.

TheEmperor

Intermediate

Re: Help - slow internet connection
      « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »
      99% chance that your Network card was toasted by the electrical event.
      Do you have a different network card you can test in the machine?

Also, if you go to Start, Run, CMD, and type ping -t www.google.com and let it run for 10-15 minutes then hit Ctr-C what does it say the percentage successful is? If it's less than 95% you're definitely getting packet loss and are probably going to need a new network card.
      The Emperor
      Ruling over Technology since 1998
      www.TechEmperor.com

homer

Expert
        « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
        99% chance that your Network card was toasted by the electrical event.

chances are that he is using the onboard network adapter, so if thats toasted he will need to purchase a PCI network card or a new motherboard.

bo130, have you disabled/re-enabled your network adapter? have you tried the "repair" option?

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »
          Hi guys, thanks for the help.

I have been connected to my highspeed connection through an ethernet card.  I have never been able to successfully get the network connection on my motherboard to work.

When I pinged off of google, almost all of the hits were successfuly, easily over 95 percent.

TheEmperor

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:05:10 AM »
            Ok, so you're not getting packet loss. Which is good. Means your network card is probably ok.

Can you give us any more details about the issue? Does it happen in IE and Firefox? Does it affect all web browsing? Does it affect anything else, MMORPGs, other online games? If you run a speedtest from  http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ what kind of result do you get?

The Emperor
            Ruling over Technology since 1998
            www.TechEmperor.com

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »
              Ok, so you're not getting packet loss. Which is good. Means your network card is probably ok.

Can you give us any more details about the issue? Does it happen in IE and Firefox? Does it affect all web browsing? Does it affect anything else, MMORPGs, other online games? If you run a speedtest from  http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ what kind of result do you get?

It happens with both browsers.  The thing is, when I start up the browser (my homepage is yahoo) the homepage comes up quite easily.  However, when I do general browsing, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 minutes to load one page.  I do not do any online gaming, so I can't test there.  I will run the test now.

homer

Expert
                « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
                bo130, have you disabled/re-enabled your network adapter? have you tried the "repair" option?

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
                  I have done both - neither has improved the situation.

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »
                    I ended up going offline and sending my tower in for repair.  The repairman told me that essentially my cpu was fried.  After I popped in a new cpu, everything worked fine.  I came back here because I wanted to thank everyone in the thread who helped.