Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Rather slow computer...  (Read 2293 times)

posom2

Topic Starter

Rookie

Rather slow computer...
    « on: February 14, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »
    My windows XP seems to have started initializing slowly when I first start it up, as well as other very strange occurrences such as spots where my files are invisible on my desktop when I use windows D until I open a file on it, and tabs in firefox using the same title for all tabs. I'm pretty sure I don't have any viruses, although I don't have much space left. Anyone have any speed-improvement tips?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Rather slow computer...
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
    Not having space left is probably the main contributor to this conditinn...start backing things up and getting rid of unneccessary programs and consider adding another drive for storage...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

posom2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »
      Strange that low space does weird stuff but... Ahh well, I'll get a backup drive, thanks for helping

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:08:21 AM »
      Well Windows uses empty HDD space on a regular basis ...it's called a swapfile and acts as memory...basically it's a temporary parking lot for files that are used to run whatever programs you are using.

A good rule of thumb is to not go below 15% total free space.
      So if you have an 80G HDD for example you should have a minimum of 12G Free space.

Hope this helps...

kop_op

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 03:33:39 PM »
      Dear patio, thanks for your advice to maintain at least 15% of disk space free, but allow me -and yourself- to LOL.  Or ;D. The disk capacity of my Compaq laptop is 6 GB (no naught missing), which was a rather acceptable figure almost ten years ago. My work consists mainly of text processing and email correspondence with attachments every now and then, and it is allright for me. Plans for replacement are ready, just waiting for my Financial 50% to agree. Meanwhile, after wiping out temporary and garbage files yesterday, I have now more than 0,4 GB at my disposal! Half of what you recommend.
      Take care.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »
      Good news...housekeeping is important...especially on a laptop.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
      Download, and install CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds. Get "Slim" version.
      Read CCleaner instruction here: http://www.jahewi.nl/ccleaner/ccleaner.html, and run CCleaner