Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Update - missing button to click  (Read 7777 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: HP Update - missing button to click
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
Is it possible your display resolution is set incorrectly; e.g. "768 wide x 1024 high" instead of "1024 wide x 768 high"?
This shouldn't matter, because it's not monitor cutting part of the display, but inside part of pop-up window being cut off.

music_man_canada

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 02:25:59 AM »
I've had the same problem. What's happened, is somehow, the scripting for hp update notifier box, is screwed up. It's an un-resizeable pop up box, with no ability to resize, or scroll the larger graphic inside the window to enable you to actually get to the yay or nay buttons.. they are presumably below the horizon on the silly little pop up window that comes.  It kind of reminds me of other unmentionably annoying pop up windows with no right click to close.  Upon initially having this problem, I simply did the ole ctrl-alt-delete, and killed the "hpwucli.exe" process because you can't even right click their stupid popup notifier to close their popup window.  The alternative would be to drag it to the bottom of the screen under the taskbar and just let it sit there buried till ya have time to reboot.

So ya can't say yes, you can't say no or cancel.. and you can't prompt it to actually do what it wants to do.. update whatever it said needed updating.

However I did find a LITTLE workaround.. If you click on the window and then hit enter once, it's equivalent to clicking the "ok" button.  It's still pretty shoddy programming for HP update to completely miss the fact the buttons are in fact, below the horizon in the little window that pops up.. and that window can't be resized to reveal the missing two choice buttons.

I'll add, I've been trying all day to install the recommended 80 mb of nvidia's d**n "software update" and it keeps on abruptly teling me "The download failed.

Anyone happen to run across a good sized hammer, let me know. Otherwise could someone tell me how to change the scripting for hp software update program, to resize their popup window to add about a half inch to the bottom of the height of the window, and be able to press the darn buttons?

one would think it would be in the registry settings, specifying the initial size of the hp auto update box.  I just don't know where to look to correct the box size issue.

If my mouse would mouse over like every other normal window, the sides and top could be resized to accomodate the two buttons that are so top secret even HP doesn't want you to get at them. 

clicking once and then hitting enter, will initiate a download of recommended software.. (from the auto update website.)

Then again, if the nvidia vga driver doesn't wanna complete installing or even download correctly, then I'm at the mercy of.. well.. another snafu.

I'd kinda like to get an update that doesn't hold me up for half an hour and then decide "not* to install.

I'll *add* here.. don't we have enough "update" checkers running? I thought microsoft was bad.. now I have an oem computer manufacturerer redundantly giving me the redundant definition of redundancy in updating software drivers that microsoft and others provide on their own merits.

I know I have a year's warranty.. but isn't it oddly curious that their own update software is so proprietary even the popup window doesn't correspond to standard rules for normal window display boxes that can be resized or panned so the missing buttons can be panned to press?

The longer I use my laptop, the more useless hp's oem software addons to my windows seem like a giant waste of my screen, ram and hard drive's real estate.  And I'm quite sure this problem started when HP, updated it's HP update software about three months after I bought this computer. 

Dudes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 02:43:31 AM by music_man_canada »

conky

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
    Quote from: Broni on February 08, 2008, 06:38:51 PM
    "Another thing....you can always go Start>Programs>HP>HP Update to see, if there are any updates available."

I would use Broni's advice and manually check for update, and while I was there open the settings. From there you can change how often HP's software automatically checks for  updates. I have mine set to never, and periodically do a manual check. This should keep that annoying pop-up from starting.