Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor installation  (Read 2165 times)

Bmx485

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I use Yahoo..
    Processor installation
    « on: March 16, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »
    Why is everyone so negitive on this subject? It is the same as a desktop I would think. All I want to do is pull the "Cover off"I'm not taking the screen off or doing anything else. I just want to see the Mother Board..... But I want to see it on the side where the processor is. If it on the top well maybe I need to take out 4 screws...If it's on the bottom maybe I need to take them all out.... or maybe there are componets on one side only. These are the questions I'm looking for an answer to. I don't plan on disassemblying anything. I just want to access the Mother Board the easiest way possible. For right now I'm only looking. So all this stuff about being soldered and stuff doesn't matter. I just want to look at it. Sorry if I sound tight but all I've gotten is answers that don't pertain to my question. Sorry. Lorenz

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Processor installation
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
    By starting a new Topic no one will be able to follow the info you have provided so far without a little digging.

And i don't neccessarily see it as being negative advice...just realistic.
    You have a machine that's under warranty....opening it makes that warranty useless.
    If there is a problem with the CPU that's in there they will replace it for Free.
    If you simply want some experience on taking apart laptops and swapping processors an older machine that doesn't cost a ton of money might be a better approach.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »
      what is the reason to look inside when they will change it out for free?

Bmx485

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I use Yahoo..
        « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »
        There's nothing wrong with the old processor. I am just going to upgrade it to a faster processor and more memory. Just an upgrade. Nothing to do with the warrany. They will not upgraade it.

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:16:58 PM »
          there is no warranty if youdo it yourself, if you have computer ppldo it then it willcome with a mwarranty most of the time

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
          There's nothing wrong with the old processor. I am just going to upgrade it to a faster processor and more memory. Just an upgrade. Nothing to do with the warrany. They will not upgraade it.

Have you researched that MBoard to see if in fact it will take a newer CPU ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
            « Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »
            I will have to agree with the rest here. If it is under warranty, I would leave it alone unless there is some specific reason you need to upgrade the processor. Ram is usually mush easier to do. At least on my Dell Inspiron 9400 there is a cover that you take off that espouses the memory modules.

That said, I did take apart my son's old Toshiba laptop to try to fix the power plug and install a new keyboard. It was no easy task. (if it would have been a more usable laptop, I would have sent it in to have the work done) Even replacing the keyboard was a challenge.

If I have any advice it is to go slowly. Often there are small cables that need to be disconnected from a component before you can continue.  Before unhooking the cable, make sure you can get the cable connected again. This sounds like silly advice, but the cable on the Toshiba keyboard I mentioned above was a bear to hook up again. The problem was it was small, I had very little extra room or cable to work with, and the cable was not stiff on the end. It was like a very small ide cable with nothing to hold onto to reinsert it. Kind of like trying to push a wet noodle through a keyhole with your hands tied behind your back. :-[

Another suggestion is to make a map of what goes where as your taking it apart. Paper and pencil will do, but a digital camera will also help.

Good Luck!

Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:44:31 PM »
            desktops are power hogs, but at least you can get in them, for the most part, and have room to work -- laptops don't leave a lot of room for error.  I upgraded RAM in one I had about twenty years ago, so it didn't have a CD drive and an ethernet port and a phone jack and USB ports and wireless and all the other stuff we've got crammed into these animals, now.

If you're capable and careful and stay organized, you should be able to do it.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"