Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hmm ATI or Geforce?  (Read 8049 times)

AnimusCorpus

hmm ATI or Geforce?
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »
still researching my videocards, what do you think about Radeons? I found a diamond ATI radeon 3870, and they got GDDR4 in them, some websites claim its better then the evga 8800GT 512 ddr3. I'm not to sure, any suggestions? should I stick with going for that evga 8800GT 512ddr3? both are in my price range.

homer

Expert
    Re: hmm ATI or Geforce?
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »
    i would go with the 8800GT, but that is because i am a nvidia guy. if you buy a nvidia card from EVGA, you can use the step up program.

http://www.evga.com/stepup/

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »
      well that ram is a bit faster, but i also am a geforce kind of guy   :)

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:07:46 AM »
      Go with a built-in Intel graphics chipset! It's da bomb!

The GeForce 8800GT seems very popular, but I've not yet tried one. I hear they're quite nice. I've been on ATI cards since 2002 or so. I've got a 9550 and a 9600 (on two different systems of course). Mostly because they were sent to me for free, and were great cards when I got them. They still get the job done, but some new games won't run at full detail. It's getting time to upgrade. I've been considering a GeForce myself, and it will probably be the 8800GT (if I get it soon) or whatever follows it. Maybe I can talk my distributor into sending me one of those for free hehe.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »
      The 8800GT and HD3870 are fairly evenly matched.
      One performs better in some tests and the other in others.
      I'd go for the 8800GT myself, especially if you plan to take part in the trade-up program.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:55:13 PM »
        Go with a built-in Intel graphics chipset! It's da bomb!

lol :D integrated for the win!

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:39:12 AM »
          how do you get cards for free?

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »
          I run a computer shop. Some distributors and companies send you freebies in hopes that you will recommend their products to other users.

jamhough22

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
          ive been with ATI for years but im going to go to Nvidia to get a GeForce 8800 GTS, ive read the reviews and evryone likes it and is sufficient for high quality gaming. (just wot i like)
          ATM i have a ATI radeon x1550, its handles games pretty well but nor sufficient for high settings.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 06:30:59 AM »
          Even better then an integrated Itenl chipset...

Hercules Monochrome Graphics adapter! For true 3d performance. <giggle>
          I actually have one of those. Well, I did recently. fancy- 8-bit ISA. makes PCI Express Look like crap. It can show almost 50 characters a second in the SUPER DUPER text mode! the text mode is special because it can show 3d. that is, the letters, "3d". And because it can address the video memory (of which it contains a WHOPPING 64 Kilobytes!), it can show the letters "3d"... now, this is the exciting part... ANYWHERE on the screen! And you want colors? Look no further. The Hercules Monochrome Graphics Adapter can show the only two colors you'll ever need, black and white. As an added bonus, you can even make text blink!

Seriously though, I like them both. I'd say the only reason I go for ATI more often is because they are based in canada (I believe I heard that somewhere).
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:34:10 PM »
          I run a computer shop. Some distributors and companies send you freebies in hopes that you will recommend their products to other users.

Interesting.

Let's say I have a computer shop, how do I go about recieving these products from companies?

Betaa

Beginner
            « Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 06:53:39 AM »
            8800GT nuf said.... Discussion over.... i would lock it if possible......
            Teh ßetazorz!!!!!1!!1!!!!1

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:35 AM »

Interesting.

Let's say I have a computer shop, how do I go about recieving these products from companies?

Unless you really own a shop... not a chance in *censored*. They don't send stuff to just anyone who says they have a shop. When it comes to hardware, the hardware companies don't send me freebies, only the distributor. Mostly because we don't deal with hardware companies direct, not even for warranty issues (authorized third party companies handle warranties here). If I make an order of a certain value with the distributor, they usually toss in something for free as a promo. A new video card or sound card model, new speakers, promo items from manufacturers (bags, CDs, cups, etc.), all kinds of accessories (mice, keyboards, etc.)... most of which I either sell or give away to friends. They get this stuff for free from the manufacturers to distribute. So it kinda indirectly comes from the manufacturer, but it's the distributor who decides who gets what, although I have known them on occasion to be talked into sending me-- er... I mean other people special items.  :P

Software gets sent to me directly by several companies, including Microsoft and EA, because I order things directly from both companies here for resale or pre-install. New Era Games, a local re-distributor of computer games and software, often sends me games before they're released for promotional purposes, however I'm not allowed to sell those games (especially before a release date). Blizzard once offered to send me a life-size orc statue when they released Warcraft III in Asia. I told them not to bother, I had no place to put it. Saw another shop here that had one though, awesome. Makes me regret not getting my own.  :-[