Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card upgrade  (Read 4058 times)

rgray

video card upgrade
« on: January 29, 2005, 08:44:46 PM »
does anyone know how i can find a better video card that will work with my system. i'm trying to upgrade this older pc so my kids can play some of their games. i have two pcs and their always fighting over the newer one. i've already put in the maximum ram which is 512mb. will a better video card help much?  32 MB TNT-2 R3 Video Card [Part #6001579]
          intel fedora motherboard pentium111  733mhz.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: video card upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 08:57:57 PM »
Well.... Depending on which cad you get, it can make a DRAMATIC difference... However, I would consult your computer manufacturer before upgrading, becuase if you find out the hard way that the card is not compatible, then you could get a LOT of problems.... Do you have any cards in mind? Also, what kind of games are these?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

rgray

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 09:02:55 PM »
i don't have any in mind cause i don't have any idea. i don't mind spending  some money but i don't want to create a nightmare either. i never really get much help from gateway. kids play sims, neopets, warcraft 3, and world of warcraft. i'm trying to keep from buying a new system

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »
Try this card.... It seems very popular, and costs about $79.99 ... Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 ... This card has 128 MB of DDR memory on it, which should suit very well for the games that your kids will be playing... The only concern is.... Will it be compatible? I can try to find out for you, but I will require a little bit of information... I see you have a Gateway... What  model of a Gateway computer is this? Also, is this a desktop computer?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

rgray

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:27:07 PM »
all i know is that its intel fedora motherboard pentium3 733 mhz. the gateway listing says it is a professional 733 m model, but i can never find it anywhere when i look it up

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 06:37:39 PM »
Well... NVIDIA makes some impressive cards... May I suggest the FX 5500 card and the 5700 card? You will want to ask Gateway if these will be compatible before you buy though....

[glb]Flame[/glb]

stuball56

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 06:56:03 PM »
Hello, I would suggest you take a look at the min. requirements for the particular games that you want to run on the co. and then determine whether or not it can handle whatever upgrade you might need to make. Keep in mind that the newer the game the more power it takes (usualy). You said you don't mind spending a bit of money (I envy you!!) so just try not to spend and then realize that a new mobo or even a new system is what you wish you would have spent your money on.