Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: producing an object in Word 2000  (Read 3058 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

producing an object in Word 2000
    « on: April 21, 2008, 05:03:37 PM »
    I am preparing an article using Word2000 that I want to send in an email, copy to web sites and copy to a publisher. I have prepared a figure using the capabilities on the Drawing tool bar. The figure appears on the Print View but not on the Normal View. It disappears when copied to web sites and in emails. There is some mechanism to embed the figure in the Normal View in later versions of Word.

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

Re: producing an object in Word 2000
      « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »
      define figure; is it a number? or a person?

is it a clipart you have drawn in word????

And what do you mean by later versions of word?

Not quite sure what you are dealing with and what you wish to do.

You want to see this 'figure' display on screen other than in print view and wish to know if it will display on other versions of word when you get it displaying on W2000?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:16:04 AM »
        I used the capabilities on the Drawing tool bar to produce a graph. I was advised that there was a capability in the Draw menu that would enable me to make my graph an object. But this would not work on my Word2000 and the adviser said it worked for the Word that he had, which I presumed was a later version.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:43 AM »
        Do you have Excel, also?  If so, then I suggest you create your graph in Excel and copy it into Word.  I've never tried to "draw" a graph in Word but, being an Excel user, I can't image doing that when I can use Excel for graphs.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »
          I do have Excel but I have had no experience with it. I have looked at the Chart Wizard and will now gain experience with it as I believe it will be worthwhile to become familiar with using Excel. Thanks for the suggestion.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »
            I have no acquired some experience with using Excel and producing Charts (graphs in my case) from it. I appreciate the suggestion that I use it. I now want to produce a fairly complex flow diagram. Should I  learn how to use Power Point for that purpose or is there  some more appropriate package?

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »
            I don't have much experience with PowerPoint, so I'm not sure whether it would suit your purpose better than other MS Office applications.  Flow charting is another area where Excel can be used.  I don't whether it's sophisticated enough in the flow charting area for your needs but I would suggest looking into it.  Here's a hit from a Google search on flow charts with Excel: Using the Excel Flow Chart Template.  And, you might find a useful template from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101443491033.aspx

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »
              I cannot download any of the suggested flowcharts because my system is Windows 98SE. I have Office 2000 and its Excel did not have any flowchart templates that I could find.

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:57:19 AM »
              If you do not have the Drawing toolbar displayed in Excel, add the toolbar and then look at the AutoShapes tool.  It has flowcharting symbols for drawing a flowchart.  Once you have started a flowchart with the Flowchart options under AutoShapes, you can change an "AutoShape" by clicking on Draw, Change AutoShape, Flowchart. 

To display the Drawing toolbar, right click on a blank part of the toolbar at the top of Excel and select, i.e. click on, Drawing from the list of toolbars. 

Try searching Help in your Excel on key words, draw flowchart, or something similar.  Excel 2003 has Help info on this.  I also have Excel 97 on an older computer.  It has the flowchart drawing tools, but I found nothing in it's Help on drawing a flowchart.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:19:44 PM »
                I had used the Drawing tool bar in Word and that did not have flowchart. The Excel I am working with does have it and the Help does does have help on flowchart. now I can get to work! thanks for your help!