Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overheating PC  (Read 3081 times)

briceman92

Overheating PC
« on: May 04, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »
Hi,

My computer won't start up anymore. I get this beep sequence from the motherboard, followed by the computer shutting off. Every once in awhile I can get far enough to see the BIOS error telling me that it over heated, followed by shutdown.

I opened up my tower and cleaned out the fan, but no luck. Curious, I felt around to see what was so hot. I ended up taking off the fan and found where the heat is coming from.

Now, I'm a software guy, so I have no idea what this piece is even called. But it does get insanely hot really quick. (Enough to burn your finger on in less than a second, from room temp.) I've included pictures of it below:

Front:

It says:
INTEL (M) (C) '04
PENTIUM(R)4
3.00GHZ/1M/800/04A
SL7PU COSTA RICA
3451A577

Back:

Where I found it:

Now, do I just need a new one of these? Could it be something else that is generating this heat? Is there something wrong with my computer that is making it work too hard?

Thanks in advance!  ;D

brett74

Apprentice

Re: Overheating PC
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »
    from what I can see that's your processor it's supposed to get hot when it's being used.Have you checked the fan to be sure it was running. if not you may have to get a new processor. The reason it was shutting down is because it's protecting other components on the motherboard

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »
    The reason it was shutting down is because it's protecting other components on the motherboard

Er - no. It was protecting itself.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
      « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »
      What you need to do is this.  Clean the existing thermal paste(the Grey stuff) off the part (it is the processor)  Get some thermal paste from a computer store and apply to the processor following the directions. Then you can put the heat sink and fan back on. Make sure you get it on properly and the fan is plugged in. 

When you start the computer, leave the side off the case off.  Make sure the fan spins when you start the computer.  If it does not, shut the computer off and buy a new fan. 
      Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
        I knew that dias lol I guess my mind was elsewhere when I was typing lol  :D