Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I am so confused  (Read 2053 times)

junkerjorg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I am so confused
    « on: May 23, 2008, 12:40:25 PM »
    I have an Intel motherboard that died. Spec sheet on it says that the RAID controller was SATA 150. I replaced the motherboard with an upgrade that also has SATA RAID. The cables are the mini type and the old motherboard had the regular IDE cables. I bought a PCI RAID controller and installed it. I can see the hard drives but not their volume. When I look at the properties of the drive/s it says they are SCSI devices!? What the heck am I missing here?? Can someone please enlighten me?? Old motherboard was Intel D845PEBT2 and the new one is a FoxConn 661FX7MJ-RS.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I am so confused
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
    Install the FoxConn SATA drivers and re-boot.
    It's not uncommon for SATA drives to be identified as SCSI....lazy program writers.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

junkerjorg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:31 AM »
      Thanks for the reply! One other quick question, what about the connection differences? The hard drives have the standard IDE connections and the new motherboard has the mini SATA connectors. Is there a way to convert the cables to fit the drives?
      Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
      What you'll need to convert IDE to SATA connection:  http://www.addonics.com/products/io/ide_sata.asp

junkerjorg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
        Thanks for the info, however, I was just doing some research and discovered something. It appears the options I had on my old Intel motherboard included the IDE RAID controller and not the SATA. That explains why the hard drives were using the ATA cables!  So, I do have an IDE RAID PCI controller and I should be able to configure that and make these drives work, correct?
        « Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:33:43 PM by junkerjorg »