Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD K6-2 running at 80 degrees celsius!  (Read 2827 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
AMD K6-2 running at 80 degrees celsius!
« on: May 04, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
I haven't had this problem in a while, but I thought it was extremely strange when I saw the temp for the first time.

Anyway, my old computer (which my brother is using right now) was an AMD K6-2 running at 350 Mhz. It was not overclocked(not by me, anyway). Generally, it ran at around 30 to 40 degrees CPU core temp. However, sometimes(about 10% of the time) I played a certain game (not demanding of it's spec, Duke Nukem 3d), and ALWAYS on a particular level, regardless of length of play, the Computer would emit(from the pc speaker) it's temperature siren (the first time, as one would expect, it scared the crap out of me) would blare. The first time it happened I quit and start MBM to view temps, and the CPU core was at over 80 degrees celsius. Case temp was 60 (ambient temp was I believe around 18). Crazy I know....

The problem being that although I would like to install a new cooling solution, I'm afraid the power supply wouldn't be able to handle it. The poor thing can deal with the system when I had it fully loaded (all slots where full, memory maxed out, not to mention 3HD drives and a Optical drive.(Drives would dissapear, HD would lose power, loads of fun) (I of course have reverted it to a more stable configuration).

I would appreciate any suggestions, I just think it's messed up, on account of even the newest processors idling at lower temperatures.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

juicebox

Intermediate

Re: AMD K6-2 running at 80 degrees celsius!
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:56:22 AM »
    you could try a couple of things....... the first thing i would try if cleaning the dust from your heat sink, also check if your fan is working, you could buy a better fan for your heat sink, you could also try leaving your side plate off the tower of your computer ( this will cause your computer to get really dusty really fast) and i forgot to ask earlyer were in your tower located.....is it in an open space with lots of air flow??
    intel i7 4930k with corsair liquid cooling
    geforce GTX titan 3gb super-clocked
    corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
    intel 120gb SSD
    gigabyte x79-p4 motherbord
    corsair cubecase

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: AMD K6-2 running at 80 degrees celsius!
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:04:38 AM »
    well it hasn't done this for a while. On the other hand my brother doesn't play DN3d...

when I had it I usually kept the side covers(both sides) off- I've never removed the heatsink, but it was dusty, and I blew it out with some compressed air some time ago...

I might of solved the problem actually, I just don't know what the temp is usually now. the interesting thing is it was 80 degrees after a reboot, so god knows how hot it actually got too. I know the fan is working, because it was when I put it's vid card in recently. I just thought it interesting that a K6-2 could reach such ridiculous temperatures. The last time it happened was during a heat wave in NFS:high stakes.

My brother isn't particularly clever with computers (well he can use DOS commands, but) and he keeps buying really new games to run on it. And once even asked to borrow my Need for speed Hot pursuit 2 CD. Crazy bugger.

Well, I guess I could pick up a mid-range CPU cooler when I get one for my current video card, that should eliminate any overheating.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.