Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why isn't my computer's wifi working?  (Read 2847 times)

JDE123

Topic Starter

Rookie

Why isn't my computer's wifi working?
    « on: May 23, 2008, 05:59:09 AM »

Hi there

I have a fully compatible wireless laptop computer. It is supposed to enable me to log on to wireless networks when im in an area that has a wireless network - but for some reason this isn't happening anymore.

For example, I am at a sports event this weekend which is wireless enabled - but my computer will say "no networks are available" when I am there.

Is there anything I can change on my computer settings to ensure that my computr picks up wireless networks?

Many thanks in advance!! All help gratefully received!!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Why isn't my computer's wifi working?
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:02:12 AM »
    For example, I am at a sports event this weekend which is wireless enabled - but my computer will say "no networks are available" when I am there.
    Is it possible you were out of range of the router or the wireless wasn't active that time.

What OS are you running?
    What type of Wireless Adapter are you using?
    Is this an isolated incident or can you not find any wireless networks?

JDE123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 06:04:31 AM »
      Im not sure what OS Im running or what wireless adapter im using. Whats a wireless adapter?

Basically, when im in an area where a wireless network is set up I ought to be able to find the wireless networks by simply clicking on my "wireless network connection" button. It should then bring up a choice of the wireless networks available - and then I can pick one.

Last time I was at a major sports event everybody else was able to connect to the wireless network provided by the organisers - except me. so im guessing there's something wrong with the settings on my computer somewhere.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 06:12:02 AM »
      Im not sure what OS Im running or what wireless adapter im using. Whats a wireless adapter?
      To find out your Operating System, right click My Computer and there it is.

Now, in the same window, click the Hardware tab and click Device Manager
      Now locate your Wireless Adapter.

JDE123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 06:51:59 AM »
        Hi

thanks for that. My OS system is exactly the same as the one listed in your example - Windows XP 2002

My Wireless Adapter is ASUS 802.11g

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
        so im guessing there's something wrong with the settings on my computer somewhere.
        If it worked before and not now, do you remember doing anything that might have changed any settings?

I forgot to ask you one other question, you mentioned that everyone else could connect to the internet. Were they like sitting next to you or something because it could be a range issue?

JDE123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »
          I don't remember changing the settings in any way, although I have had a bit of work done on the computer this year - notably adding various virus checks, etc. to get rid of an msn virus.

As for the range thing - I report often from soccer stadiums where the whole area appears to be wireless enable. all it should take, in theory, is to check what networks are available. but whenever i do this no networks are available. which is bizarre