Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sharefolder  (Read 2398 times)

rhemaze

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

sharefolder
    « on: June 02, 2008, 04:01:26 AM »
    i need to share a folder to another pc.I dont know where to start,i hope u can give me the procedure.

thanks

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: sharefolder
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:03:38 AM »
    What Operating System? Are the computers on a LAN network?

rhemaze

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:09:08 AM »
      yes I'm using lan network,and my os is windows 2ooo and windows xp,

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
      It should be fairly easy then.

Note: You should disable sharing folders if you have a laptop that will use a public wifi connection

Right click My Computer (located in the Start Menu and sometimes the desktop on Windows XP, located on the Desktop in Windows 2000)
      Click Properites
      Click the "Computer Name" tab
      click "Change"
      In the new window, give your computer a name if it doesnt have one (or if you just want to change it) and then give it a Workgroup name.
      When prompted to restart after clicking OK, restart.

Do the same thing on the other computer, but, be sure to give it a different computer name. The Workgroup MUST be the same.

You can then create a new folder (I usually put shares on the desktop so I dont forget they are there) and right click your new folder, and go to "Properties" and click the "Sharing" tab. Set it up from there.

Once you have done that, the folder should be visible over the network. Click the Start button, go to Network (if its not there, its located under My Computer) and then "Entire Network" and find your workgroup. You can create a shortcut to the network share folder on the other computer by right clicking it, going to "Send To", and clicking "Create Shortcut (on desktop)"

You know, I pretty much have the Windows Operating System programmed into my head? Thats depressing...