Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98 sytem admin + modem  (Read 3048 times)

lamped

windows 98 sytem admin + modem
« on: February 11, 2005, 05:53:48 AM »
I have format c and reloaded windows however I am have toruble with driver getting windows to recognise internal modem.  I am also connecting to my other comp via belkin wireless and trying to load the adsl connection but it wont let me saying I have to be a system adminstrator.  unlike win xp there is not a facility for this in users and I wondered how I become so in win 98.  I have had all this up and running before with no probs do not understand whats going wrong.  Have spent days on it now and would appreciate any help....no doubt a silly error i'm making somewhere but i just can't seem to fix it

Computer_Commando

Re: windows 98 sytem admin + modem
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 08:30:43 AM »
Unlike WinXP, Win98 needs drivers that are not "built-in".  Your modem needs drivers from the manufacturer of the modem.  There are no administrative functions in Win98.  If you are trying to connect via the other computer (WinXP), that is the one that is asking for "Administrator", i.e., the WinXP computer won't allow the Win98 computer to access it without you giving it the password (for the WinXP computer).

If your Belkin is a wireless router, you should not have any problem connecting to the router.  I have a wired router, just plug in and go.