Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: power supply help!  (Read 3785 times)

deadsoldier332

power supply help!
« on: February 13, 2005, 12:01:46 AM »
Hey, i read pc extreme every morning b4 goin to school. i just got an ati 9800 pro from my friend, but i get messd up icons and yellow lines in IE and other open folders. in every game i have have messed up textures, blue dots and more. i have been told it can be my power supply, which is 250 now. i was wondering is it true? if so wat power can be right for me? i have searched on newegg and found low priced 500wat PSU's but dont know if they will work or fit for me. how will i know? someone plz help THX

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: power supply help!
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
    Hello friend, how are you? First of all, I think the problem with ur resolution or graphics isn't due to power supply. I think the problem is with your VGA Card or VGA Drivers. So try to uninstall the drivers for your VGA and reinstall them or simply upgrade the drivers.
    If this solve your problem then okay otherwise reinstall ur windows.
    Secondly conecting powersuplly of more power then specified for ur system will cause serious damage to ur system. So do not connect any power supply without authentic information.

Also try to change the resolution or this problem also because of your monitor. So make sure that ur monitor is working properly.

I hope this will solve your problem. Take care of you and others and be happy.
    Bye...:)
    Dur-E-Wahab
    do take care of you and others

deadsoldier332

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 06:12:58 PM »
    im fine, ty. how are you?
    i did dl drivers so much(20 times) that i dont want to anymore cuase there was no change and it might damage the card.
    I did reinstall windows 2 times. still same, i found great prices and deals on newegg.com but i dont know if they will work for my comp.
    i have a HP pavilion a350n if anyone can get info on it about power supplies TY!!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 08:28:17 AM »
    ...conecting powersuplly of more power then specified for ur system will cause serious damage to ur system...

Who told you that?  Did you learn that in engineering school?  I think, not!

If you plug your computer into a 15 amp circuit and the computer only needs 1 amp, will it cause "serious damage"?  Of course not!  Devices only consume the power they need, not all the power they are offered.

deadsoldier332

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 05:02:23 PM »
    but i called HP and they said my computer can handle 450 watt power supply and if i buy a power supply over 450 your computer will be in serious trouble.
    i dont know if they are right any way though, they had an indian accent like an immigrant will know about computers

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 10:33:59 AM »
    HP tech support is located in India.  They know next to nothing about computers.  They take your question, enter it into a database, and out pops the answer.  You can do the same thing on Google.

It's your computer, do whatever you choose.  You asked for advice...you got it.  What else do you want?  A guarantee?  This is not a Help Desk and we do not offer On-Site support or extended warranties.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 11:44:34 AM »
      deadsoldier332.......  "...conecting powersuplly of more power then specified for ur system will cause serious damage to ur system..."   That has got to be one of the funniest comments ......I've heard in the last 10 minutes .......LOL .  
      As Computer_Commando pointed out....... if you think you are getting a knowlegible computer technitian on the phone ...when you call some of these customer support lines .......think again. ( this isnt meant to be a slam against the folks who work at these call centers ) but most of them do not have the ability or experience to diagnose P/C problems......they simply look up keywords that may or may not refer to your problem......and on occassion ,even  stumble across the answer . When they can't find what your asking about...they will pass you off to someone else....who you probably wont be able to understand ..........and so it goes. Eventually the caller will get so frustrated that they will just simply hang up ..........
      We have had people post questions here on Computer Hope ...( who actually worked for some of these support centers ) and had their issues resolved very quickly .....
      I hope your PSU issue has been resolved.

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 11:45:20 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.