Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me, please: Excel, 1-click data sorting.  (Read 3813 times)

c4outlaws

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help me, please: Excel, 1-click data sorting.
    « on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
    Hello everyone. I a new user of this forum. Sorry if this is a repeated topic. I have a project due and needed an answer quick. Hopefully someone can help me. I have been messing around with Microsoft Excel. I have learned a few things but one that stumps me is this..... As you can see in the photo example, each person has a row with their data. I know how to sort the data but what I haven't figured out is how to make each column heading sortable. For example, I want to be able to click "shot acc" and have it sort the person from highest to lowest then if clicked again it would sort lowest to highest. Does this make sense? I don't want the drop down menus for each column. I just want it to automatically sort with a single click.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Help me, please: Excel, 1-click data sorting.
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
    I believe the answer is that Excel simply won't sort that way.  For a lengthy discussion of sorting in Excel and possible workarounds, see http://dmcritchie.mvps.org/excel/sorting.htm and/or http://www.contextures.com/xlSort01.html

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
    F you actually want to sort by clicking once on the header (like Windows Explorer in Details view) I think that it is possible to write a VBA macro but what's wrong with the usual method (2-click admittedly) of creating drop downs by using Data - Filter - Autofilter?

c4outlaws

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »
      I guess the "autofilter" option can be ok but each page in my workbook has 3 charts that look like the posted pic. I can put Autofilter on one chart but when I try to add to another then the first on disappears. How can I add 3 Auto filters to one page that has 3 charts?