Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Problem  (Read 3641 times)

countywifi

Power Problem
« on: February 18, 2005, 10:35:55 AM »
Hopefully I'll get this all out.  1st ATX-250 ps dead, got new 1.  Installed into Emachine turned on and worked great.  Rebooted pc several times and all great.  Then I shut down pc and now will not turn back on.  The ps fan runs constantly and did not turn off.  The front "LED" stays lit sorta yellow color.  It is green when really on.  Is this maybe bad motherboard not leeting ps shut off?
Has XP home sp1 with 40 gig hard drive and 512 meg ram on board video and audio cd rw.  thanks for any ideas.  Also what about the on/off swicth being set for suspend mode.  I did shut it down properly thru the software  

countywifi

Re: Power Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 11:27:48 AM »
Also if you unplug the unit and wait 10 or so minutes then it will power back up  ???

cjkgmgod

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 04:34:59 PM »
Check the jumper setting from your case to your motherboard are not broken or off. Check that the plug(s) from power supply to Motherboard are inserted correctly and are secure.

c reese

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »
I have a emachine T 1842 with exactly the same problem.  I traded out the power supply with another PC and the Power supply works on the new PC but the new Power supply doesn't affect the PC with the problem.  Fans run and nothing happens but a blinking light.  The power button doesn't turn off/on the PC.  The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the power cord.  

countywifi

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 05:00:51 PM »
ok the mother bd is defective.......  What happens is the signal from the mother to the ps stays at about 2.5v  It never sends the shutdown signal from the mother board to the ps  
This keeps the fan on and the HD lite on.  Although the unit functions beyond this trouble.  All I do is shut it down then pull the power plug for now

thanks

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 05:05:58 PM »
What is the power  setup in the control panel set to? and the bios power options set to??

countywifi

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 09:28:13 PM »
In the BIOS under power it only asks about what will happen when power fails.  Do you want pc to stay off or come back on when the mains comes on.  As for the XP power setting it is presentation and never turn anything off.  Unless I shut the pc down.  No hibernation and no sleep/suspend mode.  No screen saver either