Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express  (Read 2734 times)

juanitamackey

Topic Starter

Outlook Express
    « on: July 28, 2008, 06:49:05 AM »
    I use Outlook Express for my husband's e-mail.  I also have Juno, Yahoo and other e-mail programs for myself.  I have PowerPoint Viewer installed on my computer.  Whenever we receive an attachment with a Power Point file (files ending pps), all of my e-mail programs open it up with the Power Point viewer with no problem but Outlook Express will not open it up saying "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association with it the folder options control panel." 

I have gone to Microsoft.com and others have had this problem and they tell you to download a "fix" which I did and I still have the problem.  My folder options is set correctly to open up pps files with power point viewer and it does in my other e-mail programs but Outlook Express.  If I save the attachment from the e-mail in the Outlook Express and then open it up, it opens up fine.  But we would rather open it up right from the e-mail rather than take two more steps by saving it and then having Power Point Viewer opening it up.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and they found a way to solve it.

Google

Mentor

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Outlook Express
      « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »
      I had this problem. Just download PPSFix.zip (~12 KB). Unzip the file and run the utility. Select the file types that you want to fix, and then click Fix. Note that you need to login as administrator in order to use this utility.

There is an easier method if you have OE 2003 or 2007;

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/fix-for-unable-to-open-pps-ppt-files-in-outlook-express/

juanitamackey

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:10:12 AM »
        I downloaded PPSFix.zip and extracted the files and clicked "fix" and the following window came up

Run-time error '-2147024891 (80070005)':

Invalid root in registry key "HKCR\PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.11\shell\open\command\".

I also went to:
        www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp-fix etc. and it also did not work.  I do have Outlook Express 6

Google

Mentor

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »
          Try redownloading it, because it works for most people, you might just ahve a corrput file or some wierd download manager. If it does not work, I cannot help you any further-I have given you knowledge from experience, and thats all I got for now, so just keep trying until it works:):):):):)

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
          ... OE 2003 or 2007;
          There is no such thing. Outlook, yes, but no 2003 or 2007 for OE.

Google

Mentor

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
            ... OE 2003 or 2007;
            There is no such thing. Outlook, yes, but no 2003 or 2007 for OE.

Sorry, I meant Outlook.