Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I had perfect framerates, but now they are reduced and I'm not quite sure why.  (Read 2826 times)

Draylius

Topic Starter

Starter

Okay, I just bought a new computer. The details are as follows.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Power Supply: Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Dual Fans Power Supply

Video card: XFX PVT88PYDD4 GeForce 8800GT XXX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

XFX GeForce 8800GT XXX PVT88PYDD4 Video Card
    Item #:N82E16814150254

Now, I play World of Warcraft, and when I first had everything installed, with all the graphic settings at max and in the middle of heavy action, I had a solid 60 Frames Per Second. I'd be in an area with about 25 people and lots of fighting, with maximum graphics, and I'd not see a drop in my frame rate.

After playing for a while, WoW would freeze up. The first time this happened, I had to reboot my computer. It also happened a second time, and that time it just kicked me out of WoW. I figured it was because of heating issues, so I took the side of my case off (it doesn't really have very good ventilation, and only two fans) and I now have a gigantic fan blowing into the side of my case. When I have my big fan going, I don't have freeze-ups or get kicked out, but lately I have been noticing a decrease in frame rates, and I'm not sure if it's heat-related? I'm in an area with maybe 14 people, and no action, and I'm getting about 35 FPS. So basically I'm wondering if this is caused by heat issues and if anyone thinks a new case would help, or if there is anything else I can do? Please let me know. Thanks.

linuxlover

Hopeful
    • That's not Data!
      Sounds like it's heat related. Try getting an after-market GPU block maybe? Just checking, you didn't install any bloatware in the mean time, right? That has enormous impact.
      System Specs:
      AMD Athlon 64 3200+
      1024MB DDR400
      GeForce 7600GS
      160GB SATA II
      500-watt PSU
      Techforumz.tk

Draylius

Topic Starter

Starter

No, I can't think of any applications that might suck up my RAM or anything. I'm using about a fourth of my RAM when in WoW, and maybe 2% of my CPU. I always try to keep my applications at a minimum out of old habit from dealing with an older, laggier computer. I guess I'll see if the GPU block does anything for me, then.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        Are you running SLI ? ?
        Is it configured properly ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Draylius

Topic Starter

Starter

No, I just have one video card in so far, and everything else is configured properly.