Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XFX 9800 GTX cooling question?  (Read 3512 times)

Doomsayer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    XFX 9800 GTX cooling question?
    « on: July 31, 2008, 07:26:42 AM »
    Hi all,

So,  my XFX 9800 GTX idles at about 64 C.  it doesn't seem to go much higher under load (like 68)....   To me, this seems really hot,  especially because everything else in my case almost always stays under 40 C.   my case is well ventilated.   I have not overclocked at all and am running Windows XP SP2. 

The stock clocks from when I bought it are...  core => 740MHz
                                                                            mem => 2280MHz

I just note these because they seem higher than others with the same card...  maybe it was the edition that I bought or something....  but again...  I didn't mess with them.

Some solutions for these temps (assuming they're not normal) that I've heard range from manually messing with fan controls using rivatuner etc...   and removing stock cooler and adding some arctic silver 5.

So,  just to clarify what my question is...   Are these temps high(compared to other card owners)? if so, is it dangerous to the card?  What are good ways to control fan speeds (don't really care for rivatuner since I'm not gonna mess with clocks, just the fan, so I want something simpler)?  and does anyone agree with the arctic silver solution.  also,  I wouldn't be opposed to after market cooling if anyone knows of any for this card

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XFX 9800 GTX cooling question?
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
    68C under load is nothing to worry about, graphics cards tend to run up to 80C or so.
    You probably bought a factory overclocked card.
    Rivatuner is a good solution actually, I sue it myself to automatically adjust the fan speed when the card heats up.  Without it my 8800GT loads at around 75C, with it I never go above 65 or so.
    If you're absolutely sure of your temps then they're nothing to worry about, those are in fact good.
    Hope this helps.

Doomsayer

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:23 PM »
      Thanks,  I guess I was just being paranoid.   I read on another forum somewhere that temps that hot were bad for the card,  I didn't think the guy really knew what he was talking about,  but it got me thinking....

I will give rivatuner another go....   

I appreciate the help

good day

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:22:28 PM »
      There are some great guides out there to getting Rivatuner to set different fan speeds based on the temperature.
      With very little effort, I have it set to load a mild OC and 50% fan on startup, then 75% fan if it reaches 60C, and 100% fan if it reaches 70C.  When the temps get lower, the fan speeds also get lower, and I'm considering graduating the speeds a little more.  Then when I exit Rivatuner, back down to 50% fan and stock clocks.
      Great program, very easy to use, and very handy.
      Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »
      I'm going to have to give Rivatuner a ride on the new build....thanx for the heads up Calum !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "