Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Open specific page on web site  (Read 3785 times)

setters

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Open specific page on web site
    « on: August 01, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »
    Hi

My web site was made using Serif webplus 10.
    Now I want to arrange something that forces the web site to open at a page other than the home page.
     IE if the link www.website.com  then home page opens but if the link was
            www.website.com/page3 then page 3 would open.
      Is this possible please?
    Thanks
    Setters 

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Open specific page on web site
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:34:23 AM »
    The norm is for the index.htm, .html, .php etc to be the default page to load with the URL as a basic domain call - the index file being on root.  In fact an index page in any folder will open without being called by name normally. 

There is a way to alter this thru an htaccess file.

Apart from supplying a ''domain -plus'' such as your page 3 example as a URL for folks to use - I think you'll have to either use the htaccess route or - rename your current index page and substitute that with the page you want to open as the index page on root - the quickest fix if it is just one specific page you want as homepage instead of current one.  Be sure tho to ensure paths are corrected if need be.

Re htaccess - do some Googling and you'll find plenty of info available.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

setters

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
       Thanks
      I'll give the htaccess a try.
      Google here I come!
      Thanks again.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:29:45 PM »
      One point is not clear here, in my opinion. Do you mean that "page3" is actually a version of your home page, just with a different font, or is page3 a totally different page?  If the latter, don't you still want the home page, e.g. www.website.com to appear as the home page?

setters

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »
        I've probably not explained properly.
        Page 3 is completely different from other pages on the site.
        What i want to do is leave the main site @www.mysite.com so that the index page and the rest of the site are loaded as usual, but have
         a completely different site, like a mini site, loaded completely separate from the main site when www.mysite.com/page3 is clicked.
        It seems to be possible from what I read on google but ,to me,is very complicated and maybe beyond me.
        Thanks for your reply

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
          • ACB Systems
        « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
        I think I see what you are after ... sort of!

Two options come to mind - one would be to run a sub domain on your server - www.mysite2.com/ or simply use that page 3 link from mysite.com to go to what can in effect be another site (to all appearances) within which all links keep a visitor in that ''site'' - a specific folder containing all aspects of the mini site - but linking back to the main as and if required.

This is quite easy but - still not sure I have fully grasped your plan properly.  Am I close? 

Don't forget - if you had this page3 called index.htm and it was within a dedicated folder your link could be simply www.mysite.com/minisite/ which would call that page, from which all other ''special'' pages could be accessed - even using further sub folders.

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »
          If you want page3 to be opened in a separate browser window, while the main page is loaded, try the onLoad function.

setters

Topic Starter

Rookie
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 06:21:41 AM »
            Thanks Chris
             I think the subdomain is the answer.
            I need the main site and the mini site to be 2 separate items in that you can't access the main site from the mini site.
            I suppose I want 2 sites from the 1 server using 1 domain name, it might be easier to get another domain and have 2 sites!
            But if the" 2 from 1" idea is workable I'd rather go that way.
            Thanks again

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
              • ACB Systems
            « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »
            Thanks Chris
             I think the subdomain is the answer.
            I need the main site and the mini site to be 2 separate items in that you can't access the main site from the mini site.
            I suppose I want 2 sites from the 1 server using 1 domain name, it might be easier to get another domain and have 2 sites!
            But if the" 2 from 1" idea is workable I'd rather go that way.
            Thanks again

"Two separate items" ....... well in fact IMO whether you have one or two domains really makes little difference re access.  If domain#2 was even on another server it'd 'seem' accessible by anyone going to it from a link.  About the only access factor you'd be controlling would be access thru FTP - which we hope is yours alone.  Of course password protection is another way to possibly try and keep one ''site'' less accessible.

I still think your quickest and simplest solution is running a minisite within the main, on the one server - whether with a subdomain or just a special folder.  I have several sites on at least two of my servers - one has some subdomains but other just uses 'extended' URLs which include the target special folder.  Works for me.

setters

Topic Starter

Rookie
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:36:02 PM »
              Thanks again.
              I'll try to set up a sub domain as you suggest.
              I might be back!!!!
              Thanks