Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: d:\ is not accessible using 2 dvd/cd drives  (Read 2459 times)

garydan

d:\ is not accessible using 2 dvd/cd drives
« on: August 12, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »
This is a different problem from the usual Roxio repair. I have two dvd/cd read writers. Sony DRU 810A and DRU 840A. One is a master on a single eide ribbon. The other is a slave on a second eide ribbon. Let's call them D: and E:. If I go the properties of D: and click and apply Enable CD recording on this drive, when closed it works properly, but E: will give me an error message if either a blank cd is inserted or the drive is empty. I can do the same to E: and then D; will give me the error. If a blank disk is in the drive it will say X:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function. If nothing is in the drive it will say Please insert a disk into drive X: It is not possible to get them to live in write mode at the same time. Is this a normal function of Windows or something in my setup? Nero will burn a disk in either position when asked, but if I want to drag files to the cd window to burn them on the fly, I can do it with only one of the drives at a time.
The system is W XPs3, 1 gig of ram. p4 processor. Not sure when this started, but it bugs me.

merlin

Beginner

Re: d:\ is not accessible using 2 dvd/cd drives
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
    You should chose which drive.to do whatever you want............

[conflict of drives used to perform funtions!]

ImnoGuru

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:41:37 AM »
      Have you tried to set up the second drive on the same ribbon?
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
      The optical drives should be setup on IDE2 as master and slave on the same ribbon cable...
      Replace the ribbon cable.

Any reason you have it setup this way ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "