Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My DVD drive has stopped working!  (Read 6886 times)

Rosbif08

Topic Starter

Starter

My DVD drive has stopped working!
    « on: August 14, 2008, 06:40:22 PM »
    Hi everyone,

I've noticed a similar topic but I'm creating a new one because it probably needs one. Basically my computer was playing up today and I found out I had a trojan. A part of my computer playing up was me not being able to open my Norton 360 anymore. So I uninstalled it and downloaded this "FixVundo" thing from the symantec website which claimed to have removed the trojan, and the effects the trojan was having weren't happening anymore (pop ups and the taskbar disappearing etc). But then I had a new problem. I re-installed Norton 360 and although windows defender said that Norton was protecting me, I still couldn't launch Norton. So on the add/remove programs list I clicked "change" for Norton and in hindsight I'm not sure that was a good idea because I don't know if that repairs it or uninstalls it or what ::) anyway, it told me to insert the Norton CD, I did, and it appeared to uninstall it again as now the icons and folders aren't on my comp anymore.

Now this is my problem - I inserted the CD again after rebooting to re-install Norton, and the CD isn't picked up. Nor are any DVDs that I put in. And the drive doesn't even appear under my computer. What is going on ?? Have I damaged it somehow ?? How can it be fixed ??

Any help would be much appreciated !

Thanks

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My DVD drive has stopped working!
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:00:49 PM »
    You could run CDGone--->http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

You could try downloading and running the Guided Help Program from
    Microsoft.--->http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Rosbif08

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
      Thanks for the reply,

Could you explain what CDGone is please ? And for the Guided Help thing, is there a version for Vista ?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
      « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
      Thanks for the reply,

Could you explain what CDGone is please ? And for the Guided Help thing, is there a version for Vista ?

Vista Repair instructions--->http://www.windowvistarepair.com/VistaBlog/known-vista-issues/dreaded-vista-error-code-39-code-31-code-32-and-code-19-60/

CDGone also removes  upper and lower filters then you reboot.
      Just a different program like Microsofts guided Help.

Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Rosbif08

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
        It was a bit nerve racking, but the vista instructions worked. Thanks a lot !!  ;D

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
        « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:41:50 PM »
        We are glad it worked friend. Good job!!! Rosbif08  ;)