Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Dropped Hard Drive and Data Recovery  (Read 2836 times)

kevin0987

Topic Starter

Starter

HELP! Dropped Hard Drive and Data Recovery
    « on: August 16, 2008, 02:20:41 AM »
    Hello,

I just finished reformatting my computer and as I was installing my programs from my backup external HD, I tripped on the power cord of the HD and it fell 2 feet onto the floor. :(. It was placed on top of a vertical desktop case that is sitting on the floor so that's about 2 feet. But after I restarted the HD, it started clicking!

Does that mean it is dead? And if so, how can I recover my data without the expensive data recovery?

If you can help me out, it'll be appreciate it.It kinda sucks when a 12 page report is on the back up HD and now it's gone... =\... Sigh.. all that goo ideas into a great essay. Again, if anyone can help me out, that'll be very awesome of you.

Thanks.

-Kevin

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: HELP! Dropped Hard Drive and Data Recovery
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:57:49 AM »
    So can you access the data on the external?
    If you can you should transfer your data asap.
    If you do get it going again, DONT turn it off until you have backed up everything you want to save.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:05:18 AM »
    Make sure everything is connected before turning it on.
    Once Windows sees it, immediately back the important stuff first.
    Then try backing up the next step down from important stuff, and then everything else if you must.

If the Hard Drive is clicking, it is damaged most likely beyond repair.]

Good Luck.

kevin0987

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »
      Oh deng... well, in the first place... I was loading the data from the external to the internal and after some time, I just plugged the ext hd back into the motherboard etc etc 8 hours later after my accidental drop.  But can you somehow recover at least SOME of the files from the ext HD? Some of these files cannot be recovered while some of it can... but the unrecoverable files just ranges about 20 .txt and .doc files and all...

And wow, so the clicking is beyond repair...?

How much is it to just recover about 1 MB of files? @_@....

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »
      From what I have read, the clicking sounds coming from the Hard Drive usually comes from the Arm either touching the surface of the Platter or the arm hitting the magnet which has crumbled under impact.

So, unless you have a way to open up the drive, repair the magnet, and close the drive (all in a clean and dust-free environment), there is no way to fix it.