Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply or ....  (Read 1983 times)

freepims

Power Supply or ....
« on: August 23, 2008, 02:40:30 PM »
My pc started shutting off and would not reboot. I played around and took the cover off and checked the wires going to the mother board from PS. They looked like they had been shorted out or something of that nature.

After it would set a while it would boot back up but recently when this happens I can just shake the plug that goes into the motherboard and it will boot back up but not for long and not until I shake the connection again.

I have looked onlilne to try and found an easy method of checking the Power Supply but haven't really gotten the answer I was looking for.

I was sure it was the psupply until I shook the wiring, now I wonder if it's releated to the board.

Any input, help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  by the way it is a  hp d4100y

homer

Expert
    Re: Power Supply or ....
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »
    i do not recommend you attempt to fix this issue yourself unless you are experienced with electronic circuitry. how comfortable are you with live voltage testing?

freepims

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
    I could probably take it out and have it tested put I am no Freddy Killlowatt... Does it sould like the ps to you?

homer

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 03:21:59 PM »
      it could be either the PSU or the motherboard at this point. testing of the PSU will confirm which one is the culprit.

freepims

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:29:43 PM »
      I know a few dudes who can check it out but it's better to know that start parts changing.

Thanks a million!

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »
        your very welcome, any other questions about computers, dont hesitate to ask. :)