Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble connecting to home wireless network!!!  (Read 3677 times)

compu20

Topic Starter

Trouble connecting to home wireless network!!!
    « on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:18 AM »
    Just today my laptop started having trouble connecting.  It's weird b/c it is actually connected to my network, but neither Firefox or IE will connect or any other application for that matter to the internet??? ??? ???

I'm a little confused so I tried unplugging the wireless router for a minute to reset it and still nothing.  Then I tried deleting the network out of my laptop's wireless utility and then , readding it and still nothing.

What can I try next?

Andrew

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Trouble connecting to home wireless network!!!
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:35:38 AM »
    My laptop did the same with my wireless network at home as well. I tried the same things you did and nothing worked. I even called my service provider and they walked me thru all the steps to reset both my router and modem and to reconfigure my network and still nothing would work. they told me i would have to replace my router.

So to make a long story short here is what I ended up doing to get it working again.

1. Unplugged the network cable that runs from my modem to my router on the router side.

2. Plugged loose end of network cable into a different port on the router.

My problem was solved and I could get back to surfing the information superhighway once again with my laptop. I later switched the network back to the way it was originally to make sure that port was working and it still works fine.

It can't hurt for you to give it a try and see what happens. I know it isn't a really technical solution but some times it is the simple things.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
      Also try resetting the modem. check the link lights on the modem to be sure that it is connected to the outside world.

compu20

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
        The weird thing is that this desktop I'm on now is connected to the wireless network and connects to the internet fine, but my laptop does not.

Thanks for your replies.  I'll try out those suggestions.

Andrew

mroilfield

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:12:52 PM »
        Yeah my desktop PC also worked fine. Like you it was just the laptops that connected wirelessly.
        You can't fix Stupid!!!

eulalio

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:29 PM »
          I'am having exactly the same problem.  My laptop was connecting fine this morning and all of a sudden the wireless network is dead.  My desktop which is hardwired to the router works fine. But the laptop can't even detect the router.  The only thing I haven't done is do a complete reset of my router.  I have D-Link router WBR-1310 and all this has given me is trouble since I got it a year ago.  I am fixing to go buy me another Netgear cause the first one I had never gave me any problems, but a power surge burned it and bought this thing because the sales person highly recommend it.  One thing I did notice is that another D-Link router popped up in my area and it's open.  Could there be interference?  I know my laptop adapter is working fine because I test it with this open line.  Any other suggestions before resetting and starting from scratch?

Lalo